Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Grill Marks With My CI Grate (Help!)

Options
I bought a CI grate a few months back now for my XL Egg. I've had a very hard time getting nice grill marks on my meat without burning them. I get the egg fired up and in between 500 & 650 degrees and leave it at that temp for at least 5-10 minutes. Doesn't seem to matter if I sear the meat right away or use the reverse sear method. Can anybody give me some pointers? One of the main reasons I spent the money on the CI grate was to achieve nice grill marks.
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Don't jump on me for what is probably a stupid question, but you are grilling direct, right?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Is your thermo in the right neighborhood accuracy-wise?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina, yes lol. Direct heat. That's why I've burnt some meat trying to get the grill marks
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I get nice grill marks with my CI on steaks at even lower temps - even 400.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited January 2014
    Options
    5 or 10 minutes is not going to get that cast iron all that hot! On an XL that "manhole cover sized grate" has a lot of metal to warm up and at the same time it is dissipating the heat over the large spanse - you need more time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Let the cast heat up a little longer. Cast takes longer to heat up
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Is the the meat dry when it goes on for the sear? For reverse sear especially be sure to pat dry the steaks on both sided after the rest just before they go back on for the sear.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • butert
    Options
    @Gogogordy, it's within 50 degrees. I have a BBQ Guru and the temp difference is usually 50 degrees and that could be just the difference in where the two probes are.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Agree with RRP - you probably want to make sure the CI is at that temp for at least 30 min.
  • butert
    Options
    Thanks for th tips @RRP & @canegger, I will try and heat it up longer. Are we talking 20 minutes, 30 minutes, or even longer than that? @DMV, no I've never patted my meat dry before any sear. That could be part of the reason why also, never thought of that.
  • butert
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the help @JohnInCarolina.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    From another view. .who cares? Taste matters.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    henapple said:
    Agreed. Taste matters. I have a cast iron too. The extra time is the secret. I have a cast iron in one of my L (it came with it as a demo) and I really don't notice that it's worth it other than burgers. I'm perfectly happy with the stainless most of the time. I do use the CGS spider and small CI grate with pretty good results on steaks and chops. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    henapple said:
    M

Who cares?...you ask...those cross hatch marks won me $2K plus 2 large BGEs for two years running. Judges in some contests are impressed with them...just saying... On top of that I love the looks I get when I serve my cross hatched steaks to my gasser friends! Those marks freak them out until they buy their own egg...I'm running out of gasser friends!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am gonna sell my large soon that I bought used with the cast iron grate and get a demo from GA mountain fest and then get a high que grate. I think its about the only egg accessory I really want and don't have. High que was at the original GA mountain fest and that's where I saw the grate first. Its like 10 pounds easy.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If you have a Woo2 remove it and be sure to cook right on top of the ceramic ring. That, and the longer heat up time should do the trick?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • butert
    Options
    @jhl192, what is a Woo2?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @RRP... I'm sure they are important to judges but not necessarily needed for a good steak. I've got a set of mangrates that will make a sexy steak or chop. That being said if it's important ...so be it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Drive for show putt for dough. I don't care how it looks unless the in-laws are involved. Some of my best food has not been documented because it doesn't look up to par. Doesn't matter how it looks until someone tastes it. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    The Woo2 is a great addition to the XL BGE.  Check it out at the Ceramic Grill Store: http://ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2.html.  One way to use it is to get the BGE 18" CI Grid , and place it on the lower ring of the Woo2.  You can do your steak on the BGE SS grid on top of the Woo2, then remove the SS Grid, and immediately throw it on the CI grid down on the ring close to the coals to sear.  Check out the link, a picture is worth 25 words...   
    Santa Paula, CA
  • butert
    Options
    That looks like a nice set up @jhl192 & @tksmoke. Thanks for the advice.
  • Givengold3
    Options
    Check out GrillGrates.  I bought a set for my large and the flavor, moisture and grill marks are all there.  I love these things. 

Concord, CA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    If you are doing the reverse sear, place the CI grate under the plate setter while bringing the internal temp of the meat up to a value lower than your desired finish temp.  Then remove the SS grate and plate setter and finish on the CI to get the grill marks.  That hint was from @skiddymarker and it has allowed me to make some great tasting fabulous looking steaks.  The CI being under the plate setter is preheated from direct exposure to the coals and is ready to go almost right away after removing the plate setter.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa