Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picanha question

Options
I live in Greece and here the way beef is cut is not the same like yours in the other side of the pond. Finding brisket is impossible so I was thinking of another cut to cook in its place.
I can get great quality Picanha from Brazil with nice marbling and a nice fat cup that i cook some times and I was thinking if it would be possible to do a brisket like cook.

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated!!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    From looking it up (never heard of it before) it is more similar to a tri-tip rather than brisket. The type of marbling in a brisket is due to the fact is supports the bulk of the animals weight in the front. The picanha is cut from the top towards the rear of the animal. A good bit different.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    I got a buddy who is married to a columbian gal… he makes picanha for get togethers.  All he uses is a good sea salt and it is delicious.  I believe he gets it at an Argentinian butcher in Miami.  Not sure what cut it is from but not a brisket.  
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I've done picanha once.  I cooked it like a steak, not like a tough piece of meat that needed to be cooked a long time to make it tender.  That is how they do it at Brazilian steakhouses and how I believe others here have done it.

This may help.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151053/brazilian-churrasco

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you all for the info.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Any time. In return I expect free lodging when I visit Greece. :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Get some flat skewers, season with salt and peppper, sear, cut off slices, reseason and sear and Nice sear and medium rare thin slices. Good stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings