Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

1 inch to 1 1/4 inch New York Strips

GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,544

Are these steaks to thin to reverse sear? I have reverse seared 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick Strips at 250 indirect until 110/115 then pulled the plate setter and cranked it to 500/550 then seared  to 130/135. Any thoughts?

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Dimondale, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• jhl192jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    You can still do it but you need less time and for the sear and reverse sear.  Watch it closely.  Keep your Thermopen handy! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,388
    Personally I wouldn't bother for fear of over cooking them real quickly!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,024
    would be better with the hot tub and sear method, dont see much need for a roast and sear with thin steaks
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,544

Well they were good, I pulled the plate setter after indirect cooking some stuffed bacon wrapped dates and took it to 500 and grilled until 130 tented and rested while I grilled the asparagus and they were mighty fine.

Chuck

Dimondale, Michigan XL BGE