Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First time and hello.

Hello  everybody! Just got my Lbge last week and finally gathered up enough courage to fire the egg up yesterday.I was so excited to cook with the egg that I may have bitten off a lot more than I can chew.  decided to cook an 8# brisket (flat). I had seen every video i could and read a dozen articles. Well needless to say it went horribly wrong. its okay though because i have you guys and hope to get a great "Eggducation" from this amazing forum. and all its members. so i will see you all soon and happy egging!

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,750
    edited January 2014
    Welcome!

What was wrong with the brisket? We'll have you cooking another by this weekend.
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,678
    Welcome aboard!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • cp90cp90 Posts: 16
    thank you!

It passed the pull test but the product turned out dry and hard. It wasn't inedible just not enjoyable.
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 1,017
    Welcome ... and pratice makes perfect.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010), Mini Max (2015)
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,917
    Welcome. ..it'll all come together
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    edited January 2014
    My first brisket sucked. My second was a crowd pleaser, but I still have a long way to go. These guys/gals will show you the ropes.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    Welcome!

What was wrong with the brisket? We'll have you cooknig another by this weekend.
    Noooooo not the Travis "how I do it thread please"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lilwootylilwooty Posts: 215

Going with brisket for your first cook on the egg?  I like your style!

Living Large and XL

• calikingcaliking Posts: 9,661
    Welcome!

That brisket can be made into chili or spaghetti sauce. Dust yourself off and get back in the game!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 14,081

If you have very deep pockets and want to hit one out of the park, start with the brisket from here-

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/  and read this post-

Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket........and other stuff that I made up all my myself  Then when you abandon that plan just ask away and you will get plenty of opinions (and we all know about those:)) and help here.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
  • dldawes1dldawes1 Posts: 2,133

My first two were undercooked !  I will be working on my 3rd ( a full packer) this coming weekend.

As you said, mine were edible, and ended up very good....after hitting the kitchen oven for an hour or so to get through the stall period. But...I haven't got the satisfaction of finishing one on the BGE !

I found out that I had not been putting enough lump in the egg !!!

I too watched all the videos and lurked around in here for a week or so before I got my BGE. I thought I had it all figured out !!!

It is a humbling experience !

Enjoy your next brisket,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,501
    Over 7 years and have not cooked a brisket yet. You tried the (IMO) hardest cook out there. Hell I am in the middle of Texas and like pulled pork better. Welcome to our world. Where are you?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Listen to @lousubcap

Also, you want a whole brisket, not just the flat.

-KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    Welcome aboard!

Ballsy cook for the maiden voyage, I like that train of thought though. So it was a little dry, chew harder... I bet it was tasty pretty amazing though :)

Make sure and take & share some pics as well...
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 14,081
    All kidding aside-here are some worthwhile links to look over-and most on here run around 260-290*F on the calibrated dome and that will give you aground 1-1 1/4 hrs/# but plan to finish early as brisket is a temperamental hunk of beef:

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
  • cp90cp90 Posts: 16

lousubcap said:

If you have very deep pockets and want to hit one out of the park, start with the brisket from here-

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/  and read this post-

Snake River Farms Wagyu Brisket........and other stuff that I made up all my myself  Then when you abandon that plan just ask away and you will get plenty of opinions (and we all know about those:)) and help here.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    those look amazing!

Mickey said:
    Over 7 years and have not cooked a brisket yet. You tried the (IMO) hardest cook out there. Hell I am in the middle of Texas and like pulled pork better. Welcome to our world. Where are you?
      I like pulled pork too. think I may try that  soon hopefully with better results than the beef. I'm in South Carolin.  thanks every body cant wait to fire the grill up again!