Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Christmas Prime Rib Using Reverse Sear

The prime rib was awesome this year. Started simple with a salt and pepper rub and left open in the fridge overnight. Put a couple of oak chunks in for smoke. I've become a true believer in the reverse sear process. This one went 5 hours at a dome temp of 210. Due to time stress I kicked the dome temp up to 350 for an additional hour. Pulled the roast at an internal temp of 115 degrees. Then cranked it up to 600 degrees and gave it a 10 minute sear. The family was pleased with the results.
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• Very nice, welcome to the Reverse sear fan club. 
    Try without the bones and without a sear, see how you like it. All are good, just gives a different taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • Yours looks great!

Did one a few weeks ago just like this and was awesome, only way I'll cook them from now one.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• pflugpflug Posts: 96
    Was the sear at 600 indirect?... Did you just leave the setup and crank it up in temp?
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,568
    Awesome. I love doing it that low. It really helps to guarantee that perfect edge to edge MR.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,089
    Great pics of a truly beautiful piece of beef!  You nailed it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • You did that piece of cow proud. Yum.
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • jfarleyjfarley Posts: 145
    Thanks all. pflug, I did the 600 indirect just cranking up the temp as you surmise. I considered direct and think it also would have worked. Perhaps this one could have been a bit more browned, and I would not have been in danger of over cooking it. The middle pieces were more rare than medium-rare. No regrets - there was silence at our Christmas table as the eating commenced...

LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,648
    That looks great!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.