Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickeys rub

Options
So I tried the rub on two spatchcock chickens las week and they turned out eggcellant. My question is ..... Do you guys think it will be same result if a turkey is done in traeger? My dad finally took my advice to try the rub and I hope it work well with a tied up bird in the smoker..
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Probably, as long as they cook at similar temps.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    He's smoking them at 275-300 so hope it works lol
    Beaufort, SC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I made my first batch and am trying it on a spatch **** turkey tomorrow night. Smells awfully coffee right now. I hope it turns out well.  I did it by weight, 

100 grams expresso (couldn't find instant)
    100 grams brown sugar
    50 grams each - black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder
    75 grams ancho chili powder.

I put it all in my magic bullet and made sure it was well ground.  Hope it turns out well
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    regular espresso grind works for me (instant not a big deal imo)
    you will be happy. it is a great recipe, my dad just called and said it was great.
    Beaufort, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I made my first batch and am trying it on a spatch **** turkey tomorrow night. Smells awfully coffee right now. I hope it turns out well.  I did it by weight, 

100 grams expresso (couldn't find instant)
    100 grams brown sugar
    50 grams each - black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder
    75 grams ancho chili powder.

I put it all in my magic bullet and made sure it was well ground.  Hope it turns out well

All the coffee is gone in the cook. I worried about the same thing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    Options
    My dad uses it for birds in his electric smoker and says it turns out great. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I used it Thanksgiving it was great but it made the turkey almost look burned very dark from the coffee if your looking for a nice presentation on the table you should keep that in mind 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    With rub image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• plumbfir01
    Options
    SUCCESS!  HE was thrilled. Thanks guys
    Beaufort, SC
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yeah, Mickey's rub is #1.  Love it!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It was great  on everything I tried. It was a tad sweet for my taste, so I doubled the chili powder (cayenne). For beef, I added extra salt on the meat after I dusted it with the coffee rub. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I put it on a roast last night and it was great but tomorrow I'm gonna do a spatchcocked turkey with it and I can't wait. Yes, you heard me..,SPATCHCOCKED!!
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.