Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me understand Sous Vide.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814

So I get the basic idea, long slow cooking time with a controlled water bath to hold the temperature.  But, what about food safety?  How do you handle that aspect?  I've always read that between 40F and 140F was dangerous but I'm seeing posts about 130 for 3 days and the like. 

I'd like to give this a try sometime but I want to be sure I fully understand the process etc first.

Thanks

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smart to ask- do some reading and you'll get it. 

The short story is that you can safely pasteurize food at lower temps within a certain time range (depending on thickness of the food). Everything will eventually die around 130 but it dies instantly at 140. So the idiot's version is that as long as you get your food to a safe temp within the 4 hour window, you can hold it there safely indefinitely. The only thing that changes is the texture of the food. The lonerg it's held there, the more it breaks down. leave it to long and it gets mushy but if you cook to the recommended temps and times, it provides  the most tender juicy food you'll ever eat. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    To add a bit more.

When meat is cooked, the muscle proteins "denature," and squeeze out the water held in the tissue. The muscle bundles are held together by collagen, which, when heated, turns into slippery gel. If one can cook the meat in such a way that less moisture is squeezed away, and more collagen is produced, the food will be soft and succulent.

As it happens, pathogens creating toxins grow ever more strongly up to about 126F. After that they begin to die away. As far as I know, there aren't any traditional cooking methods that could reliably hold the food at 130 for the days it took to wipe out the pathogens and also gel the collagen.

attempting an equation, low temp x long time = dead pathogens & low temp x long time = maximum gel.