Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another rib roast question

Options
I am considering doing two rib roasts this season - one for a dinner party, the other for Christmas.  Would you ever FTC a rib roast (cooked medium rare - 131) for maybe an hour before serving, or would it end up over done?

Also wondering, what rub or seasoning would you recommend?  I am thinking Montreal with some extra pepper, but open to subbestion
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Bill_Swerski
    Options
    sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, chopped garlic and fresh chopped thyme.  coat the roasts in olive oil and then rub a liberal amount of the rub all over.  

• ShadowNick
    Options
    if you FTC, I'd pull at 125.  There is a spicy version of Montreal that works great on rib roast
    Pentwater, MI
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    My experience has not been overdone, the problem I had was keeping it serving temp warm. Ribs, butts and briskets all have temps in the 180º to 200º range when FTC'd. Sitting for a few hours may simply lower the temp to the 130º to 150º range, still quite acceptable for serving without reheating. A low and slow rib roast at 135º and no heavy reverse sear, will start to cool pretty much when you take it off. If it cools to 110º to 120º it has that lukewarm feel, not overdone. We have a warming drawer in our oven, maintains a 125º to 130º and is the only way I've held a roast to serving temps. 
    I'm sure others will have some better ideas. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!