Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked potato soup

Options
2»

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    went ahead and used up the yellow and red taters I had left.  EVOO and salt, onto the Egg.image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    Baconimage
    and on the Egg
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't see why not
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:

I don't see why not

As long as we are invited.
  • Smoked_Turtle
    Options

Henapple,

Did you do the entire cook on the egg or, finish it inside? I have a dutch oven and have been researching soups and such. This might be my first though. Looks great. By the way I am a new egger. Large - Oct. 2013. Smoked a lot of really good meat so far but, am ready to broaden my horizons. Also have been trying to perfect my pizza.

• jls9595
    Options
    Best potato soup I have ever made for sure.  I think baking the taters first has alot to do with it. Much better than boiling them.  Bacon really sets if off too  imo.imageimageimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    On my second bowl now and wow, this stuff is great.  The skins get crispy with the olive oil in the egg, makes all the difference.  Amazing and simple recipe. Thanks CenterCutCook and henapple!  one of my favorite meals from the Egg so far.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    Options

Henapple,

Did you do the entire cook on the egg or, finish it inside? I have a dutch oven and have been researching soups and such. This might be my first though. Looks great. By the way I am a new egger. Large - Oct. 2013. Smoked a lot of really good meat so far but, am ready to broaden my horizons. Also have been trying to perfect my pizza.

the only thing I ever finish inside is my last beer, in the shower
  • jls9595
    Options
    Haha, I would have finished mine in the DO on the Egg but it hasn't been cleaned since the scorched cochon de lait fiasco, lol.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    Options
    I've found when cooking in the do if it gets away from you just add more of the base..be it milk, stock or water.
  • jls9595
    Options
    It got WAY away from me, past the point of no return.  Wish I got a pic of it but picture Mickey's burnt wings...yeah.  It happened really quick, I guess it was just way hotter than I thought due to my thermometer being off by 150 degrees or so. No amount of milk could have brought it back. Good suggestion though, for future reference, when I haven't quite totally turned the meal into polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
    henapple said:
    I've found when cooking in the do if it gets away from you just add more of the base..be it milk, stock or water.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

@Henapple, bumping an old thread of yours. I plan to make this recipe this week. I assume you did this whole cook on egg? How long from start to finish did it take? Hoping I can use this a weeknight cook, but time is little short with work and kid(s), etc.

Thanks, and look forward to trying it

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    Options
    @Chubbs‌...not long at all.. hour, maybe a little more. The potatoes are cooked so your basically cooking the cream and milk to the consistency you like. I do recommend baking the potatoes on the egg with the bacon above on a raised grid. I've always left the skin on but last time it was a little chewy. Cut the taters whatever size you want. Throw in some sliced kielbasa for a twist. Keep us posted.

Thanks. According to @Mickey‌ and @caliking I just learned how to cook. Nice to see someone try something I've posted.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Damn @caliking, she has gotten a little cranky now that she can cook so well. Our little girl is growing up......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Chubbs‌...not long at all.. hour, maybe a little more. The potatoes are cooked so your basically cooking the cream and milk to the consistency you like. I do recommend baking the potatoes on the egg with the bacon above on a raised grid. I've always left the skin on but last time it was a little chewy. Cut the taters whatever size you want. Throw in some sliced kielbasa for a twist. Keep us posted. Thanks. According to @Mickey‌ and @caliking I just learned how to cook. Nice to see someone try something I've posted.
    Thanks. Yeah the potatoes are obviously what take the time. I always find potatoes to take forever in the egg when not wrapped in foil. Wrapping in foil and putting on egg defeats purpose of using the egg IMO. So 1.5 hours includes the potato time I assume? Indirect 350ish?
  • henapple
    Options
    Potatoes usually take me an hour...any way to do them the night before or hell, just nuke them. It'll still be great. I have in a pinch. Just try to simmer and not boil. @Chubbs‌
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Damn @caliking, she has gotten a little cranky now that she can cook so well. Our little girl is growing up......
    What? I said he could cook?? I must have been drunk on PBR's...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Mickey said:

Wait, you two "made" @henapple? :-t Ewwww. X_X
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     but the freakin dog counter surfed the six pounds of leftover ham.
    That is funny…with a web cam your dog would be famous right now…lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Now that is how potato soup should be made, thanks for posting!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Handcyclist
    Options
    Just went to CenterCutCook's website.  Everyone is enjoying her potato soup recipe.  Ashley is going through some difficult times right now, yet she remains hopeful for her family.  Her infant son Miles has a rare genetic illness.  The liver doesn't function properly and the outcome is complete kidney failure.  He is currently on daily at home dialysis and waiting a liver and kidney transplant.  Her 30 year old husband Ryan has been diagnosed and is in treatment for stage four colon cancer.  They are working with various legislators who oversee federal guidelines for medical testing to have the age guidelines for colon cancer screening lowered.  A simple change in the age guidelines could save lives.  

Know from this forum many of you seek to support other eggers in a variety of ways.  They have a Facebook page  Team Ryan and you can follow their family on their journey.  Their latest post states their journey  is not a solo journey, no one walks alone.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @henapple made the soup tonight homey. Really good. I will use let sour cream next time as I really tasted it but man was it good. I imagine it will be better day 2 once had time to get happy some more. Thanks again
  • henapple
    Options
    Glad it worked out. Gotta make some soon.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    henapple said:

Glad it worked out. Gotta make some soon.

Yeah I have plenty to freeze and will eat it tomorrow too. Thanks again. Hit the spot
  • iyacyas
    iyacyas Posts: 38
    Options
    Looking good...