Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Himalayan Salt Plate trials.....anybody try one yet?

A client of mine gave me this "Himalayan Salt Plate" yesterday after we closed a real estate deal........I was intrigued and couldn't wait to try it!  He had few recipes, but I just ended up running with what I had on hand--flank steak, mushrooms, onions, & red peppers.

The directions said heat it up slowly in 300-400F.  Scared of the direct flame, I put it on the plate setter with only about 1/3 full firebox.  After waiting 35-40 minutes, the plate was at about 325F and I decided to put the food on.

It was [just] good......not anything better than direct flame on the Egg.  It was salty of course, but I shouldn't have salted the meat ahead of time.  Also, since I put some steak butter on it, it probably soaked up some extra salt out of the plate.  Next time I need let the salt heat up to 400+ as I didn't really get an browning.  This might be a good use of reverse sear.

The one thing that turned out great--a last minute grilled ham and cheese I threw on there for the kids after they said the steak was too salty.  That salt did gave the bread a great crunch and taste.  Will be experimenting with panini's and flatbreads for sure!

I'll be playing with this thing some more, so if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, fire away.

IMG_2825s.jpg
1024 x 683 - 350K
IMG_2829s.jpg
1024 x 683 - 257K

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

Comments