Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Backlit Thermapen....

Anyone have one? I Have one of the original Thermapen and it is getting a little stiff when I open it so I was thinking of picking up another one before this one bites the dust. Now I know this will most likely last quite a while but I find myself wanting a back lit Thermapen and I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used one and get opinions on how well the back light works. It's automatic and I would hate to spend the extra $ if it doesn’t light up when I need it to be lit up.

Anyone?
·

Comments

• I have one, used it several times in the dark and it does turn on automatically. It isn't the brightest, but better than nothing.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,606
    edited August 2013
    Not to be a smarty*ss here, but do you use your Thermapen in the dark?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 235
    I have one and I love it. It comes on when it should.
    Southern Indiana
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,161
    RRP said:
    In the winter the egg near my house is not near enough to a light that I can read it with out a flashlight. My eyes are not what they used to be.
    8-|

I can get by with a flashlight but I thought it might come in handy.
    ·
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 146
    I got a super fast blue model its the fastest model yet
    ·
  • RickyBobbyRickyBobby Posts: 717
    RRP said:

Not to be a smarty azzzzz either ... but why in the he11 would he be asking about a back lit device if he had no use for it? Duh!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
    ·
    edited August 2013
    RRP said:

Not to be a smarty azzzzz either ... but why in the he11 would he be asking about a back lit device if he had no use for it? Duh!
    excuse me, partner...he even added the comment about his eyes not being what they used to be and I thought maybe I could make a suggestion. - bear with me...OK?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    RRP said:
    In the winter the egg near my house is not near enough to a light that I can read it with out a flashlight. My eyes are not what they used to be. 

8-|

I can get by with a flashlight but I thought it might come in handy.
    Joe - I know what you mean and even though this might look strange to some folks here this is my night time solution...a hard hat reversed with a high power night light bolted on. You want to know the amazing thing? "The beam is always shining where I am looking! " 
    \
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,161
    edited August 2013
    RRP said:

LOL, rickybobby, slow night for you?
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,456
    edited August 2013
    Hell, 80% of the cooking I do is in the dark.  My wife and I's schedules just happen to make it that way.  It's early dining for us if we eat at 8:00 p.m.  I use a Cabela's head lamp, but the next Thermapen I buy will be backlit.

Mike

PS    Good to see you come over here and join the forum Ricky!

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·