Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Backlit Thermapen....

Options
Anyone have one? I Have one of the original Thermapen and it is getting a little stiff when I open it so I was thinking of picking up another one before this one bites the dust. Now I know this will most likely last quite a while but I find myself wanting a back lit Thermapen and I'm hoping to hear from someone who has actually used one and get opinions on how well the back light works. It's automatic and I would hate to spend the extra $ if it doesn’t light up when I need it to be lit up.

Anyone?

Comments

• golfandgrill
    Options
    I have one, used it several times in the dark and it does turn on automatically. It isn't the brightest, but better than nothing.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Not to be a smarty*ss here, but do you use your Thermapen in the dark?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    I have one and I love it. It comes on when it should.
    Southern Indiana
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    RRP said:
    In the winter the egg near my house is not near enough to a light that I can read it with out a flashlight. My eyes are not what they used to be.
    8-|

I can get by with a flashlight but I thought it might come in handy.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    I got a super fast blue model its the fastest model yet
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    RRP said:

Not to be a smarty azzzzz either ... but why in the he11 would he be asking about a back lit device if he had no use for it? Duh!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • RRP
    edited August 2013
    Options
    RRP said:

Not to be a smarty azzzzz either ... but why in the he11 would he be asking about a back lit device if he had no use for it? Duh!
    excuse me, partner...he even added the comment about his eyes not being what they used to be and I thought maybe I could make a suggestion. - bear with me...OK?
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    In the winter the egg near my house is not near enough to a light that I can read it with out a flashlight. My eyes are not what they used to be. 

8-|

I can get by with a flashlight but I thought it might come in handy.
    Joe - I know what you mean and even though this might look strange to some folks here this is my night time solution...a hard hat reversed with a high power night light bolted on. You want to know the amazing thing? "The beam is always shining where I am looking! " 
    \
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2013
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL, rickybobby, slow night for you?
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Hell, 80% of the cooking I do is in the dark.  My wife and I's schedules just happen to make it that way.  It's early dining for us if we eat at 8:00 p.m.  I use a Cabela's head lamp, but the next Thermapen I buy will be backlit.

Mike

PS    Good to see you come over here and join the forum Ricky!

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE