Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the most creative, out of the box thing you have made on the egg (Egg fest T-minus 8 days)

Options
2»

Comments

• burntbrisket
    Options

It's all about the grilled lemonade.....I'm told.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Grilled lemonade is fantastic.
    Options
    cazzy said:
    My pizza is always a big hit and should be easy to pull off at any Fest. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos 1 hour at 800. The bark is un-flipping real. =P~
    You've got to give some kind of explanation. What is this? I couldn't find an articles on the site or web about this.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Can you taste the smoky flavor or would it be better to enhance with a few chips?
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Seared Dragonfruit w/ reduction was a wildhair "hey why the hell not" moment. It's not in rotation (wasn't horrible but, not anybody's fav either). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    allsid said:
    Tjcoley said:
    Can you taste the smoky flavor or would it be better to enhance with a few chips?
    It gets pretty smoky. Lots of oil is released from the rind and you get really interesting char marks as well. 
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I don't know if it's the most creative or not, but two years ago I did cinnamon rolls in a BGE deep dish pizza stone and then frosted them. It's a nice starter and raises some eyebrows. Also fruit cobblers in CI dishes is a big winner. Good luck and remember to have fun and enjoy the day. Don't run yourself into the ground. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bacon-wrapped rotisserie cheese cake, dusted with Honey Hog.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Roasted pumpkin seeds, awesome.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited January 2016
    Options
    from experience peep get into meat coma by early afternoon, simple grilled pineapples and Costco brownies were welcoming change! I try to finish serving meat dishes before 1-2pm
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Turkey Gizzards. After this one was so good have done packs of them. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Smoked turkey necks and ham hocks. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I did bar towel pork tenderloin last egg fest. It was different enough to attract attention & got great reviews from the attendees! Recipe is on the naked whiz site. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bartoweltenderloin/bartoweltenderloin.htm 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    made these at the Waldorf Maryland fest in 2011, this was the test batch made prior

This was the original purpose of the batch of grits that ended up in this morning’s breakfast cups. I wanted a slider but a little spicier than usual. Began with a gnocco buns made with the dizzy pumpkin slider method, substituting jalapeno polenta/grits as the base in place of the grilled & riced pumpkin. For the burger, ground chicken thighs seasoned with blackening seasoning, seared on cast iron, then topped with melted jalapeno jack cheese, sliced avocado & chipotle mayo:

Begin with loose grits, let cool & add a bit of flour & an egg. Mix well & refrigerate overnight.

013jpg

014jpg

Scoop out small blobs & fry in the pan:

025jpg

026jpg

Grind up some thighs:

018jpg

019jpg

020jpg

Blacken the burgers:

031jpg

033jpg

Everything on the cooling rack, reconfigure the egg to go indirect:

034jpg

035jpg

Assemble:

036jpg

Some avocados:

038jpg

Chipotle mayo:

039jpg

All done:

042jpg

Perhaps a plain:

043jpg

Or cheese alone:

045jpg

I think they're fest-worthy

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Long ago, when we started the FL Eggfest in Ocala, our dealer Tony, from Alabama, brought a 6 foot baracudda.  Even cooked the head.  I didn't eat it though...
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Did a bacon wrapped Cuban sandwich a little while back. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'm not very creative....  I tend to find something cool and then try to replicate it, rather than invent.

But I have had a few cooks that were more about injecting variety or fun into the process.

One was a cook involving scallops three ways.  cooked all at the same time.  Was a bit like juggling.

don't recall it exactly.  looks like coconut/rum at left, with tsunami spin.  pineapple tequila with swamp venom, and raging river with some garlic and savory stuff going on.

i seared the scallops

set the scallops aside, and added the sauces to deglaze and reduce a little

then added the scallops back and flambe'd them

then pulled and served (this is them resting, we don't eat off the sink)

there was another time where we were buying stuff for dinner and realized a couple things were purple, so we went with it.  the "Purple Dinner"

eggplant, octopus, purple basil, grilled plums for dessert.

grilled the eggplant (salt, papper, olive oil, slow until semi-crisp)

parboiled and then finished the octopus on the grill

tossed it in a vinaigrette with the basil and some flowers from the garden and a lot of olive oil

nothing fancy, just ate from the bowls.

grilled some plums, served with ice cream and a balsamic sauce

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• motowfo
    motowfo Posts: 32
    Options
    Bacon wrapped armadillo eggs...
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @zippylip, as much as I despise him and wish every day for news of his untimely death, is perhaps the sleeper-genius of the forum when it comes to originality.

i have never seen a cook of his that was not entirely original.  where i may take out a book and try to follow a recipe in order to understand it, this savant, zippylip, can make anything out of anything, and it always looks fantastic.

no joke.

a person would do well to scrub thru his history on the old forum.  not sure how much of it is here.

crazy stuff. 

too bad he is such a hate-filled sour old man.  he gets it, i'm told, from his long-time companion (not that there's anything wrong with that), another genius in the food realm (with a focus on canadian Indian food, which is a thing).  they are perfect for each other. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]