Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

For the Canadians: Why is Today a Civic Holiday?

My calendar says for today: "Civic Holiday (Canada)"  What's up with that?

Comments

• My Canadian friend told me "because now it's August and we need another one"
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • JeronamoJeronamo Posts: 41
    Too much to explain as it varies by province. Check out this link.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civic_Holiday
  • I was thinking maybe it was "National Tune Up Your Snowblower Day" in preparation for when winter starts next month.
  •  

I was thinking maybe it was "National Tune Up Your Snowblower Day" in preparation for when winter starts next month.
    I think Fred19Flintstone might be a little jealous. :-)  I would be too, if I had to wait until September 2nd for the next holiday.  And worse than that, some poor people never get the thrill of running a powerfull snowblower up and down the driveway in two feet of snow.  Yup, some people just have no luck at all. ;-)

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 938
    edited August 2013
    We have a Holiday Monday first weekend in February as well, at least in Ontario, because out former Premier thought it would buy a few votes.

Gerhard
  • gerhardk said:
    We have a Holiday Monday first weekend in February as well, at least in Ontario, because out former Premier thought it would buy a few votes.

Gerhard
    At least they gave that one a name... "Family Day". Plus, we get "Boxing Day" off (i.e., the day after Christmas)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,966
    Memorial day
    Labor day
    Good Friday
    Thanksgiving
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 8,259
    Depends on where you live. just like the US. 
    Washington State shows 10 days in 2013. same as BC.

School starts after Labour Day pretty much everywhere across Canada. Summer is short, so most provinces have a holiday on the first Monday in August.As @Fred19Flintstone points out, it is the only Holiday I know of without a reason other than let's have a day off.  
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    It used to be called "Consolation Holiday" instead of "Civic Holiday" and was a consolation for the long dark winters and tons of snow.  In Alaska they decided to simply pay the residents yearly for putting up with it.