Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lemon Basil Chicken (pix)

One of the best chickens I've ever made.  Had to do something with a whole chicken tonight, and the wife and I have been getting a little burned out of our typical seasoned-on-the-outside spatchcocked chicken.  So tonight, I decided to take some basil out of the garden and use it with the chicken somehow.  I ended up injecting the meat with a mixture of Lemon Juice and strained Greek Marinade.  Then I placed some fresh julienned basil under the skin and seasoned the outside with S&P.  Then finished the chicken with a glaze of butter.  Flavor was ridiculous!  :D

·

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,841
    Looks awesome Dyal!!! I am goin for a ginger and garlic Spatchcocked this weekend

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,624
    Wow.  And I don't wow chicken... until now.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,015
    Man @Dyal_SC, that looks silly good. Any reason not to do this same approach WITH the spatchcocking?

Definitely bookmarked.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,580
    @Black_Badger, I am sure it would work just fine spatchcocked as well. :) I had the time and was just in the mood for a little something different tonight. :)
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Love the chunk of butter to finish it. Will add that for sure.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,526

Looks awesome. Have a whole chicken in the fridge and gonna try this. Thanks.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,542
    Plate setter and foil drip pan? Looks awesome!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,666
    Looks great Dyal, just put a whole chicken in brine for tomorrow nite. I plan on taking it out of the brine in the morning and letting it air in the fridge until dinner time. Going to spatch it and use your butter idea. Thanks nice cook.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    Yup, @Cookinbob. I made a homemade pan out of some aluminum foil for the drippings. Like to keep my plate setter semi clean. :)
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited August 2013
    Wow! What a great looking (and I'm sure tasting) chicken. The color on that skin is textbook perfect. Very nicely done!!

Other than a spatchcocked chicken, I've never cooked a whole chicken other than on the rotisserie. I'm curious what the difference in time is between the whole chicken and spatchcocked? Spatchcocked chicken normally takes about 90 minutes for me. TIA.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965
    That looks absolutley horrible. Send me the leftovers and I will dispose of them properly so you won't have to suffer any more. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 255
    A thing of beauty!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
    ·
  • I NEED to try this!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·
  • RaleighGuyRaleighGuy Posts: 206
    Love the color on that chix!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

·
    Thx, guys! :) @jfm0830 , I guess you can say it adds another +/- 20 minutes to leave it whole.
    ·