Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Eastman Big Kahuna

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GISCDK/ref=asc_df_B003GISCDK1983864?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B003GISCDK&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=878700301694532992&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this puppy?

I'm looking for a high-BTU portable burner to wok on. Sometimes I don't feel like going through the motions of starting up the egg, and want something that will get me there quicker, or something I can use if I'm cooking something else on the egg.

Any other suggestions?
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,106
    i use one like this with the flat top, it came with the turkey fry pans, a smaller chicken fry pan etc. what i like about it is the flat top, very stable with a dutch oven, ci fry pan, big pot for seafood boils, i have a piece of 8 inch (i think its 8 inch) pipe that sits on top for the wok. its pretty indestructible. the top of the one you picked looks to be less usable for a bunch of other style cooks, i prefer the flat top and avoid the ones with a hoop to supprt the pot as it causes other problems. i use mine mostly for big lobster cooks when the price goes down below 3 bucks a pound

.http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,027
    edited August 2013
    I guess I'm the other camp from @fishlessman, mine is used only for a wok, but then we don't do lobster.
    Mine is an older Eastman (garage sale), fixed legs. it has a similar three point support for the cooking vessel as the one you show. I don't wok on my egg because I find for the cooks I do there is no easy temp control. The burner is ideal, from 5,000 BTU to over 50,000 BTU in seconds. Only way to go for outdoor stir fry. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Eastman... I like that it has a tripod so I can keep my wok at waist level.

I think this thing will take the hassle out of my wokking. Love my egg, but I don't really feel like going through the motions for what amounts to be 3 to 5 minutes of cooking.
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
    I just ordered one of these.   I have seen local restaurants use them and know they get very hot very fast.  Easy to store, minimal setup. I have a table for my egg, so this will go on there when I use it either with or instead of the egg.  I ordered the gas canisters from Amazon, but they are available locally from restaurant supply houses and oriental groceries.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·