Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat Pre Plan

Options
Have about a 5lb. flat that is seasoned and sitting in the fridge, since I can't fit a packer on my Medium.  I plan on covering it in thick center cut bacon and setting the guru at 225.  How long should I plan for the cook?  Plan on wrapping about 160 and pulling at 195 and resting for an hour.  I am trying to plan it for dinner.  I'm just looking for some thoughts about a ball park cook time....timer per lb., etc.....Thanks for the help.
Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    edited July 2013
    Options

Brisket flats can be tricky.  That said, going with 225 on the guru i would plan for about 2 hrs/#.  However, foiling at 160*F will help power thru the stall so you will likely end up with a shorter cook than the 2 hrs/# value.  The brisket is finished when you can probe the thickest part of the flat both ways with no resistance-could be at 195*F or it may be higher-each hunk behaves on its own.  I actually tried using bacon as you describe on a flat over a year ago and I don't recall it making much difference in the outcome.  Between the bacon and foiling you will not have great texture with your bark. 

Enjoy the journey-and don't slice til ready to eat and slice against the grain.  BTW-welcome aboard, the BGE is a game-changer.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    So you think no wrap?
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    edited July 2013
    Options

Google "texas crutch" to read about foiling and what it does-I've seen brisket recipes that wrap but the majority don't.  It's your call but I don't foil-a friend of mine does-personal preference.  It can speed up the cook if time becomes an issue. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Why bacon?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nealcr1
    Options
    Just thinking that it would keep it from drying out.  Should I just cook it fat side up and not wrap at all?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Why bacon?
    I wondered the same thing and then I decided, "why not"? People seem to wrap bacon around everything.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Fat side up or down doesn't make a difference with the cook-but I go fat side down so if anything sticks to the grid it's fat. 
  • nealcr1
    Options
    Just to clarify...I'm not wrapping it in bacon.  Just laying 4 strips on the meat side.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you want a roast, bacon is ok. If you want bbq brisket, no bacon. You need that crispy bark on the outside, that's where all the flavor is. Is holds the smoke and all the flavors from the rub intinsify as they blacken. It's just a roast under that. Bacon will keep all that from happening. All the smokiness will be I. The bacon and the bark will not form.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nealcr1
    Options
    Is 225 still good?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    225 is fine.