Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

underbite?

Options
Ok... so I have a very small underbite between my dome and base.Its only 3-5mm in the difference.Should i realign this or is it insignificant?

If I do need to fix it do I loosen the hinge bolts (the eight bolts on back) or the carrage bolts or both? Will the small overhang hurt the gasket ?

Here is a pic of front of egg by handle.

thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not much, but if you want it perfect, install the hinge lock, loosen the band bolts only, position the dome where you want it and have someone (SWMBO is a good candidate) apply weight to the dome to keep it in place. Now snug the band bolts evenly, and torque to tight. 
    Should stay like you want. Dollar bill test it and recheck the bolt tightness after the next couple of cooks and maybe once a month over the summer and fall. By then you might need a new gasket and it will be time to start over again. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    Options
    Mine was pre-assembled by the dealer and the gasket alignment was perfect; however, the thermometer was slightly to the right. Being OCD, I loosened the bands, adjusted the dome, tightened, and found I now have the same underbite you have. I've cooked on it several times since and noticed no smoke leaving the gasket so figure I'm fine. You can try the dollar bill test: close the dome on a dollar bill in several areas of the gasket and see if you can pull it out.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    No smoke leaking and there is resistance with the dollar bill test so I figure its ok but as a fellow OCD'er I may drive myself to the mental if I don't correct it.Im trying to resist fixing it as i've loosed the bolts twice already and don't want to weaken them if that's possible? My biggest concern is the small gasket overhang inside of the dome and the gasket getting fryed sooner!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Mines the same. I've tried to fix , got little improvement. Its fine the way it is.
    Seattle, WA