Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learn more from mistakes

Options
I've come to the continued realization that I learn more from my mistakes than my successes. The most recent mistake was with macaroni and cheese. I make it from scratch with 2 parts Colby cheddar to one part Sharp. Starting with a bechamel with fat, flour, mustard, red pepper, and minced garlic, and building to a mornay with the cheese I was ready to bake my creation on the egg with some apple wood for smoke flavor. My mistake was two fold, first using a new charcoal and second not waiting long enough until all the VOC's burned off. What I produced tasted and smelled of the acrid chemicals instead of the mild cheese and the light smoke flavor I wanted. The lesson for me is to be more patient and wait until the Egg is ready. I just wanted to share this revelation in case it resonates with others.
Marietta, East Cobb, GA

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Cheese has a funny way of being overpowered by smoke at times.  Thanks for sharing - mark that in the memory log!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yes. Thank you for sharing.

If I ever mess up a cook I'll be sure to post it here so others can learn from it. ;)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Thanks for the reinforced mantra-and you are quite right about "where you learn".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    New egger here and I agree....lots of posts about cooks gone right but you learn from the cooks gone wrong.  I'm still figuring out the timing of the VOC's myself.  I'm sure the pasta soaked 'em right up.  Other than that the mac 'n cheese recipe sounds awesome.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2