Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wicked good sold out

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

Trying to find some.  Went to their website to order online.   Says that they are sold out until mid to late June.

If you like it, and see it in a store, grab it while you can.

I have to find a temporary replacement until I can get more.

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I gave my last two bags to Travis. Like Ozark Oak and the delivery guy better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I was at my dealer last weekend and they had it, so I picked up first bag to try. May have to get back over sooner than I'd expected to.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options

I've had some difficulties finding a good supply of the Wicked myself. This weekend I was in Restaurant depot and found 17.5 lb bags of Royal Oak for 8 bucks. Picked up 5 bags.

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm not sure what's up with the company. First they drop Ace as a retailer then they run out of charcoal?
    Doesn't sound like they are interested in the charcoal side of their business anymore.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • boatbum
    Options

Did they drop ACE?  Or I wonder if they were not able to ship?

I don't know much about the charcoal business, maybe they ran out of wood.

I like Ozark for short, hot cooks.   Havent had good luck with low temp, long cooks.  Has cored on me a couple of times.

Guess in the interim I will go back to BGE. 

Cookin in Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I emailed WG a short while ago and they confirmed that they were not retailing through Ace any more. Running out of wood is like Tyson running out of chickens. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    @caliking
    My Ace said it would be available in June but, if the source said they were not retailing through Ace then I'm gonna have to drive to Tulsa to give Ozark Oak a try.
    If Mickey and Henapple use Ozark Oak then, I'll give it a go.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2013
    Options
    boatbum said:

You're in Dallas, right?

I'm not really set up to ship individual bags, but would if someone was in a pinch or wanted to try ours first I'll quote it.  It's just too expensive overall, plus I cannot guarantee the quality by the time it gets to you.  The shipping is more expensive that the charcoal.  Pallets are the way to go.

It would be about $150 in freight to ship a pallet of ours down there.  30 - 20 lbs bags.  That's dock to dock.  That nearly doubles if you need liftgate service.  On just a few pallets, it's easy enough just to pull them off the truck one-by-one and palm the driver $20 if he helped.  Can't really do that if you get 5-10+ pallets though.

Talk with the neighbors, friends, and local BBQ shops and see who has a dock or forklift you can use.  For every pallet you add, the per bag shipping costs drop significantly.

• boatbum
    Options

We did a pallet last year, a group here in the area.

I would take 10-15 bags if anyone else is interested.

Yes, in Dallas

Cookin in Texas
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    @stlcharcoal what is yours and do you ship to Seattle?
    Lynnwood WA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    If they aren't selling anytime soon, I might just stock up on the Wegmans lump during the summer. Nice size pieces, burns well and long and lights fairly easy, especially the leftovers. They sell 10# bags for 6.99 so $15 for 20lbs seems like a good price for pretty good lump.

Now where the hell do I store all those bags LOL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    boatbum said:

You're in Dallas, right?

I'm not really set up to ship individual bags, but would if someone was in a pinch or wanted to try ours first I'll quote it.  It's just too expensive overall, plus I cannot guarantee the quality by the time it gets to you.  The shipping is more expensive that the charcoal.  Pallets are the way to go.

It would be about $150 in freight to ship a pallet of ours down there.  30 - 20 lbs bags.  That's dock to dock.  That nearly doubles if you need liftgate service.  On just a few pallets, it's easy enough just to pull them off the truck one-by-one and palm the driver $20 if he helped.  Can't really do that if you get 5-10+ pallets though.

Talk with the neighbors, friends, and local BBQ shops and see who has a dock or forklift you can use.  For every pallet you add, the per bag shipping costs drop significantly.

What is the total cost per pallet for 30 20Lb bags shipped to Atlanta? What type of charcoal is it?

Thanks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

$330 in freight for one pallet to Seattle; $190 to Atlanta.

The brand is Rockwood.  Here's a review by @dlk7 : http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152250/rockwood-lump-review

We should hopefully have a TNZ review soon.  In the meantime, you can use any of the below links to learn more about the company and brand.

I can get any brand of charcoal you want, but I just need enough people to commit before I'll buy a whole truck load.  I keep in touch with other manufacturers as we're all in this together.  In any case, another brand will be more expensive than our "house" brand since you're adding me as a middle man.......still might be cheaper in the long run depending on what part of the country you're in.

Email me for individual quotes.