Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wow! This BGE is da BOMB on butts

TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,328
My first one on the BGE. Very pleased. I've cooked plenty of them on a pit and a gasser but, hands down this was the best. Here are thei details: started this 10 pounder at 700 am with an internal meat temp of 44 degrees. Rubbed it with a light coating of worstshire sauce and then TX BBQ grand champion rub. Tied it up and put it in the egg with plate setter. Temp range during the cook was 235 to 310 degrees. I'd say the average was about 260 for the lengh of the cook. I took it to an internal temp of 200 degrees and it about 13 hours to get there. I never opened the lid during the entire time. This butt had nice bark and the meat was super moist. On other cooks using a smoker pit or a gasser I've always wrapped them in HD foil at about 160. Not this time! I will never foil wrap one again. You just don't need to do that on the BGE!!!
Dave - Austin, TX
image.jpg 1.7M
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    So when are you getting your second egg?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • GramblerGrambler Posts: 142
    Nice job. Looks awesome!
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,444
    Man how does that meat not fall off the grate?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,328
    It actually stuck to the grate a little. I took a spatula and broke it loose before removing it. Any way to keep them from sticking?
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • GoldhawkGoldhawk Posts: 1
    A well seasoned cast iron grill works for me
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,865
    Looks great!  Really nice finished color on that butt.  Nice work! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 149
    edited May 2013

·