Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple Crescent Roll Dumpling (with pics)

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,777

I'm open to a suggestion for a better name - and if we have just reinvented the wheel let me know. 

My son and I got the idea in Salado where someone was cooking slices of Granny Smith apples wrapped in pre-made dough and baking it on the egg.  We didn't have an egg at our rented cabin but this could be done more easily on an egg than on our portable vertical smoker where we cooked them "raised direct".

We used butter flavored crescent rolls, laid them out into their triangular shape and added brown sugar.  Then we put a few thin slices of apple (4-5 seems to work best) and sprinkled some cinnamon on top.  We rolled them up as demonstrated in the pics.  Cooked them until the dough was done.  We had to flip them due to our set-up as the bottoms cooked much faster than the tops.  I suspect that cooked indirect on the egg this would not be necessary.

Like I said earlier, this was just something we made up this weekend while sitting around a campfire so if it has been done before or there is a better way to do it, please enlighten me. This will definitely be something we do again.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments