Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chicken leg question?

Going to try some chicken legs tonight, I have one of those little racks where you can hang them, question is - I dont have a raised grill ....yet, should I cook them indirect, or should I go direct. Thinking it may be a little to close to the heat and they will just burn? (LBGE)
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,382
    I would go indirect to be safe. They are good both ways. 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 14,132
    edited April 2013

This is on a Mini with a Woo and still closer to the fire than your large at reg height. I say go direct. Just keep an eye on them. I am not a fan of indirect nor the hangy things. But you are still even higher with the hangy thing.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• Thanks guys, think I will try direct tonight,

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,736
    The expert is @DocEggerton - Doc, leg help needed!
    I do mine like Mickey, just lay them on the raised grid, direct. Doc has one of those nifty leg/wing racks. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Put the plate setter legs down and a drip pan on top then the top rack  on the drip pan and it will work same as the raised grill

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,872
    I think you would be fine either way (direct, indirect).  One thing you could do is use something (bricks, loaf pans, etc) to raise the chicken hangy thingy higher.  Another suggestion is to simply use less lump.  If you put in just enough lump to cover the bottom (a little above the air holes), then you will should have plenty of space.  

If you do decide to use the plate setter, then I agree use a drip pan (or just aluminum foil) so that the chicken drippings don't burn on the plate setter.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • I think you would be fine either way (direct, indirect).  One thing you could do is use something (bricks, loaf pans, etc) to raise the chicken hangy thingy higher.  Another suggestion is to simply use less lump.  If you put in just enough lump to cover the bottom (a little above the air holes), then you will should have plenty of space.  

If you do decide to use the plate setter, then I agree use a drip pan (or just aluminum foil) so that the chicken drippings don't burn on the plate setter.  

Beer cans have worked for me before to raise or stack....
    :D

Parkland County-20130223-00316.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    I think you would be fine either way (direct, indirect).  One thing you could do is use something (bricks, loaf pans, etc) to raise the chicken hangy thingy higher.  Another suggestion is to simply use less lump.  If you put in just enough lump to cover the bottom (a little above the air holes), then you will should have plenty of space.  

Beer cans have worked for me before to raise or stack....
    :D

Sweet!  That looks delicious by the way.  Planked chicken breast?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
  • Yes, a few weeks ago, stuffed as well. BGE recipe I tried. Turned out great! Just about to put the legs on, direct, no raised grid.
  • Looking like some sexy legs so far...Just put them on.

imageimageimage
    IMG-20130403-00584.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    IMG-20130403-00585.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    IMG-20130403-00588.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
  • 160 F, ready soon....

IMG-20130403-00590.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    Looking good now
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• Done, turned out great, not as crispy as i would have liked, but good. Most important thing, family loved it.

IMG-20130403-00591.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,919
    edited April 2013
    The expert is @DocEggerton - Doc, leg help needed!
    I do mine like Mickey, just lay them on the raised grid, direct. Doc has one of those nifty leg/wing racks. 
    Just got home from a late band practice.  I would have done these direct.  Now I will look to see the results :-)

And ha, I have a batch marinating for tomorrow night!
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• Did them direct Doc, turned out great. Marinated two kinds, one was the wifes soya and 10 others things, I can get her to share if any one would like. And the other was a sweet and sour with a bit of spice. Only had them soaking for the day though.
  • BeaumontyBeaumonty Posts: 159
    I used to not like legs until the Egg. Plus they are super kid friendly. Here is an awesome brine. Just do it over night (or At least six hours):

Ingredients
    2 cups buttermilk
    2 cups cold water
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup hot sauce
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon freshly cracked pepper
    1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
    1 lemon, thinly sliced
    3 garlic cloves, halved
    1 (3 1/2- to 4-lb.) cut-up whole chicken
    They are some sexy looking legs!  Nice job!  I still need to pick up  one (or two) of those leg racks.  

I have never had a lot of luck marinating and get crisp skin. The best I got was to dry the hell out of them and put back in fridge uncovered for a while to dry better. More work than I like to do so now I use rub and sauce the last 10 min.

• Not quite like the Doc's, but they turned out great. Thanks.