Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever seen 88 lbs of glorious delicious pork?

Probably not. Neither have I. But I am cooking just under 90lbs of BBQ tonight and tomorrow. Two, evenly separated cooks. Got 43 lbs on at 2145. The rest will be on tomorrow around lunchish. Cooking for my wife's boss. Happy times. Whole shoulders and a couple butts.
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    At 2145 you might be done sooner than u think.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Eh, maybe, maybe not. Depends on some weather and how the meat responds. The shoulders are about 18 lbs a piece. Usually takes app 14 hrs when I cook them.
  • hapster said:
    At 2145 you might be done sooner than u think.
    Hahaha!!  Yea...that is a SUPER high temp!!   :))
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    that is the super Mickey turbo cook
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • paulheels
    I meant time, 9:45. Haha. Tho my therm has been pegged, and it was prob close to that. Cooking temp will be 275, when all this meat finally allows it to recover.
  • paulheels
    "Good night" peak and a photo.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Looks good. Yes, I have seen that much pork. I cooked 16 butts last fall. Took me 4 days to get them all done. They were all eaten in 2 days. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • paulheels
    Granny. If you need to cook that much again. Find the whole shoulders. I like them better than butts. But I can only get them in 80 lb boxes here, so I leave them for large cooks. With the second grate I can get three shoulders on. App 60 lbs.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Paulheels, I don't think I will be doing a big cook like that again. I volunteered to do it and had no idea it would turn into something that big. This fall I know to keep my mouth shut. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    2145? that's how hot nola got the demo egg up to when he got..." distracted".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice Paul. Lotta pork there man. Your wife's boss feeding a small army?

Our Heels sure needed a big man in the post this year huh? 4 guard set lineup is tough against 7 footers.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • paulheels
    Chubbs, it was a battle all year. If MacAdoo was a true big man, the fur guard line up would have been fine. But he doesn't play with his back to the rim well, and is not a great rebounder. We essentially were playin five guards, he's a swing player not a post player. But, guys got some experience and I think everyone will be back, except MacAdoo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    henapple said:
    2145? that's how hot nola got the demo egg up to when he got..." distracted".
    Maybe....but I left that egg with a perfectly seasoned gasket.
  • paulheels
    Newb. You got any pics on how that fit. Cause that's large hoss! Awesomeness.
  • After taking measurements, decided the head would barely fit on the egg, so it went on a large offset on a trailer. This was for a hog cooking competition here in NOLA with some friends. I will see if anyone took pictures. Also did 35 racks of ribs and 400 orders of pork cheek bao with pickled pig's tongue, veggies and fresh fried pieces of pigs ears ("tongue in cheek"). We also did some pulled pork and pork pot pies.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • GrannyX4 said:
    Looks good. Yes, I have seen that much pork. I cooked 16 butts last fall. Took me 4 days to get them all done. They were all eaten in 2 days. ;;)
    A Granny's love knows no bounds :). I remember that one. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    After taking measurements, decided the head would barely fit on the egg, so it went on a large offset on a trailer. This was for a hog cooking competition here in NOLA with some friends. I will see if anyone took pictures. Also did 35 racks of ribs and 400 orders of pork cheek bao with pickled pig's tongue, veggies and fresh fried pieces of pigs ears ("tongue in cheek"). We also did some pulled pork and pork pot pies.

It is a sin in this forum to make a statement like that and not post pics. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if one of the self appointed moderators puts you in time out.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Hi54putty said:
    After taking measurements, decided the head would barely fit on the egg, so it went on a large offset on a trailer. This was for a hog cooking competition here in NOLA with some friends. I will see if anyone took pictures. Also did 35 racks of ribs and 400 orders of pork cheek bao with pickled pig's tongue, veggies and fresh fried pieces of pigs ears ("tongue in cheek"). We also did some pulled pork and pork pot pies.

It is a sin in this forum to make a statement like that and not post pics. I'm just saying, don't be surprised if one of the self appointed moderators puts you in time out.
    I talked to Phillip (newb_in_nola) about it....almost went, it's a fundraiser in City Park here in New Orleans.   You can probably find some pictures here:

http://www.hogsforthecause.org/
    I thought you cooked that hog on the Egg! I have seen hogs that big and bigger cooked, on offsets, spits and the like. Thanks for the link. Fun times.
  • I was way too busy to snap foid pics and still waiting for the 2013 event pics to post. No chance Aubrey (we picked out and named our hog) was going to fit on my egg. There were definitely teams out there with larger hogs than us. Our team is mostly new to BBQ, so will be working on that more this year, but we did place 2nd out of 85 teams for our braised pork cheek bao dish in the porkpourri category. It's a really great event.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams