Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fog in the temp gauge?

Notice that when I cook I get a small bit of fog/humidity in the center of the dome thermo. Normal? No biggie, but thinking that condensation in there might eventually affect the movement of the needle?
·

Comments

• Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 548
    I had the same thing in mine a few weeks ago. Once it warmed up (outside temp) it went away. If yours doesn't, I'd contact Tel True. They should take care of you.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,290
    is it a new egg?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,413
    I've had fog/moisture in mine for over a year. Still calibrates and works well.
  • MrossMross Posts: 329
    Your egg is crying because you don't use it enough! :((
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,037
    I had one to do it and I put it in a bag of rice for a couple of days and it pulled the moisture out. Learned that trick after getting my cell phone wet.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    @henapple - yep, two weeks old. Calibrated the thermo last weekend and it's dialed in perfectly. @Mross - probably crying fom overuse! I've got it fired up most days...maybe it needs a rest?
    ·
    my fog comes and goes... it's covered under the bge warranty though
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,952
    Some folks drilled a hole in the bottom of the gauge to solve that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,455
    As long as it gives accurate temperature reading after calibration I wouldn't worry about it. The needles will eventually be off on a cool egg anyway. I have never had "Fog" in mine but it reads 100F right now and it is 40F outside.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,329
    henapple said:
    my fog comes and goes... it's covered under the bge warranty though
    Me too, only mine is not covered by BGE, the fog is behind my eyelids somewhere.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·

Some folks drilled a hole in the bottom of the gauge to solve that

the only thing about that is corporate told McGee that voids the warranty...
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,952
    I think the original gauges were more problematic than the Tel-Tru. How long is the warranty on the guage?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I'm meant told me... who the hell is McGee. stupid Swype. they didn't say...I would think... one year?
    ·