Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No woodworking skills whatsoever....

Options
With the title being me....I have absolutley no woodworking skills just something I've never done been taught or inclined to do, however, I do want an Egg table.  I miss my table and I want one... How hard would it be for me and perhaps my wife to build one?    Pretty basic but perhaps a slide out drawer and a door.....Then again that might be even more difficult :)
Large BGE

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Building an egg table doesn't have to be fine woodworking.  You can do it.

An egg table can be built out of stick lumber (1x4, 2x4 and 4x4).  You'll need a miter saw, drill/driver, tape measure and a jig saw.  If you don't have any of them, they're not expensive and you could borrow them from a friend. 

Take a look at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I built mine with a skill saw and a hand saw a jig saw and a drill. Biggreenegg.com or the naked whiz plans are basic. I built mine with 2x4 and 1x6 I took a basic supply list to Home Depot and they helped a lot. Even did most the major cuts. Used poplar and pine, semi transparent deck stain and no urethane but it is a semi temporary solution.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Have fun, teach yourself a new skill or two... And never forget to keep your thumb the hell outta the way...
  • nolaegghead
    Options

hapster said:
    Have fun, teach yourself a new skill or two... And never forget to keep your thumb the hell outta the way...
    I second that.  I had a kickback on a table saw and removed the tip of my thumb.  That was about 25 years ago.  No accidents other than a brad in the finger, splinter, or (recent) a damn piece of shrapnel in the eye (last week - had to go to the doctor for that one).  Metal working is a whole other set of safety concerns.
    Options
    Hire someone to build it...drink beer while you watch. Build it yourself....drink beer while you do it. The nickname "9 finger egger" will stick.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Joking...you can go it and enjoy it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited March 2013
    Options
    super fun project! I did mine, second wood workiing project.  me and father in law learned together along the way. it was a blast and very happy to call it my own and you get to add your needs into a table you build

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Bought everything at lowes. Spent around 300$ but I also had to buy a jigsaw and some other equipment. I always use projects as excuses to add to my power tool collection :-bd

XLBGE 
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    Its a good occasion to learn! I had no skills either and built a beautiful table. I highly recommend Kreg pocket hole toolkit as it makes the process easy and hides the screws. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

hapster said:

I second that.  I had a kickback on a table saw and removed the tip of my thumb.  That was about 25 years ago.  No accidents other than a brad in the finger, splinter, or (recent) a damn piece of shrapnel in the eye (last week - had to go to the doctor for that one).  Metal working is a whole other set of safety concerns.

Safety glasses are your friend. Didn't you take a chemistry class or 2 in college?
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I have no skills in woodworking also, but built my own table, sorry no pics right now, but it was a fun project.  There are many mistakes as I tried to modify the naked whiz design for my own tastes, but it holds the egg and the wheels let me move it so I'm happy with it.  In a few years I'll get better tools and make a better one incorporating some things I've seen on other tables posted here.  Bottom line, go for it and enjoy it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The key for non-woodworkers is the understanding that you will become one with a project like this. It will be yours, great feeling. Don't sweat the small stuff and don't be too detailed, you can make all the adjustments to design with your second table, which you will build within a couple of years. Moral - don't spend too much time and money on this table, it is only for practice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options

hapster said:
    Safety glasses are your friend. Didn't you take a chemistry class or 2 in college?
    I had a one-eyed chemistry professor that lost an eye not wearing safety googles...she was adamant about safety.  I had glasses on but not a full face shield.  
    Options
    Do it like this guy next time....