Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Egging an Eggplant Parmesan

AviatorAviator Posts: 1,450
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum

Well, yesterday's veggie challenge became EP (title). Somehow the board decided against pizza and wanted this.

So ran down the hill with a list and got some stuff assembled.

Then started the sauce, with 4 cloves of garlic minced and sautéed in EVOO before adding 2 cans of peeled plum and one can of pureed tomatoes, marjoram and oregano. Cut the eggplant, coated with EVOO and sprinkled with salt.

Got the sauce to simmer for 45 min or so till it got real thick, threw the eggplant on the egg at 400F direct to get a good char on it.

EggParm1.jpg
3264 x 1840 - 2M
eggParm2.jpg
1840 x 3264 - 2M
eggParm3.jpg
1840 x 3264 - 1M
Eggparm4.jpg
1840 x 3264 - 1M
EggParm5.jpg
3264 x 1840 - 2M

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    SOOOOOOO what was the verdict? Did said Veggie visitors enjoy?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,856
    Looks like you went with a great option!  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,450
    edited March 2013

Time to assemble. Used a CI skillet which was coated with EVOO. Layer of eggplant, sauce, oregano leaves and cheese - mozz and reggiano. I did 3 layers with small chunks of butter. :)

No starch added.

Assembled and ready for the egg. Switched the egg to indirect at 350, although I feel now that I should have gone with 400.

On the egg indirect

Finished and resting, peeps sitting around waiting. At least that's what I thought as I stepped out to shut down the egg, clear the area and come back inside.

Half the food was gone when I walked back in. Outstanding was the verdict.

Eggparm6.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 2M
    eggparm7.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 2M
    EggParm8.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 2M
    EggParm9.jpg
    1840 x 3264 - 2M

Chattanooga, TN.

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 770
    Fantastic. You sidestepped the part that puts so many calories in this dish -- sauteeing in olive oil. I'm wondering what the butter did for the dish. Also, torn fresh basil would be a great addition, though I do love fresh oregano. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,450
    @jlsm, I did do dried basil. could not find fresh at short notice and it was getting late. Yes, the smokiness of the grilled EP stood out.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 3,155
    That looks awesome!! When I cook EP I have found that covering each slice with a thick coating of salt for about 30 mins it will pull the moisture out an makes for a firmer more meaty EP. Just was the salt off before cooking.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky. Waitin to find a Sasquatch to Egg.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I slice my egg plant and stack with a double thickness of paper towel between each layer - place something heavy on the top slice.  Towels pull the bitterness right out of the egg plant in five minutes.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 11,857
    Nice...looks great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN