Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on some good old burgers

Am still learning to cook on the egg and this forum has been a big help and inspiration. I have only done two cooks on the egg, first were ribs... did not turn out very good was trying for falling off the bone and it did not happen:( they were tender but came out a little dry and the rub was overpowering. I will work on getting them right!
Then did a spatchcock  turkey which turned out very good :)
My Daughter coming home from college for spring break and is asking for some burgers?
Any tips?  do I do them with the egg open? would like to get some flavor from the lump but will it happen without closing the lid? just looking for a nice juicy burger

thanks
Cary NC

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Lid definitely closed. I cook them at about 400 raised direct. Only flip once. They will be very juicy.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2013
    Just my two cents worth, always cook with the lid closed and if you are looking for falling off the bone moist ribs (SWMBO will only eat them prepared that way) try the 3-2-1 method. Of course depends how big and how much meat is on the rib. Basically 250 indirect with rub and smoke for 3 hours, then foil, some old wine or juice to  braise for 2 hours then one hour finished with sauce. sometimes this turns into a 2-1-1. I prefer turbo at 350 indirect, but they do not fall off the bone. 

For burgers, many go raised direct with the lid closed, target temp 400-450. 
    I prefer to go indirect at <300 with a drip pan until internal is close to 130-140, then a direct reverse sear. Easier to control the cook and because I use 80/20 ground beef, some of the fat has dripped off before the sear and there is no acrid burned fat taste. The burgers also tend to keep their shape and retain a lot of juice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hi54putty said:
    Lid definitely closed. I cook them at about 400 raised direct. Only flip once. They will be very juicy.
    +1 And remember to cook to temp for rare med rare etc...

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Season the meat (mix it in) and form the patties delicately so there's air space inside to hold the juice.  Makes a big difference..
    +1 on the delicate handling. I do them at 400 direct on a cast iron grate (makes a huge difference, in my book). I get my burger from a butcher who grounds his own, so I'm not overly concerned about contamination. On a mini, I cook one-inch burgers for three minutes on each side for medium rare/medium. I use black pepper only as a seasoning. 

Believe it or not, the burger has been the hardest for me to master, but I think I have it down now, at least on the mini.  

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Makin' a good burger ain't easy.  Getting good meat is key.  When I have the time, I try to grind my own.  I like to eat them on the rare side of medium rare and I don't trust factory burger grinding operations.
    you could play it safe and do unground burgers.   3/4 inch thick cut beef tenderloin seared and slipped into hamburger buns, they thin out as they cook and beat a burger anyday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2013
    I only cook them one way now. I have the store grind (burger grind) X lbs of brisket. Take it home and mix in S&P and red onion.  400 direct (lid closed). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dont be an idiot like me. I left the bottom draft open too long and got way to much flare up. Second time I hit them at 450 for about 2-3 mins a side turned out perfect. Thats with 80/20 beef.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    My burgers have never been better than they are now that I am cooking on my large BGE! 

I cook mine direct, and I don't raise the rack. I like to cook mine at around 300 to 325. I use BGE lump and Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chips. 

I put them on and flip them every two minutes are so and pull them BEFORE they get any char on them. I would describe them as medium to medium rare at the best. 

Last week my SWMBO wanted me to cook them a little longer so I of course obeyed and they were not as good as normal. 

You will just have to play with it and experiment until you get it like you like. That is the beauty of the Egg. You get to try and try until you perfect it!

Always cook with the lid closed are you are going to dry your meat out.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's