Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feel The Burn (pizza)

Second time making pizza on the egg.  Still a learning process.

I recently got one of those extra-large spatulas for transferring the pie into and out of the egg.  Thumbs-up on that.  It made things much easier.

The problem I had this time around, however, was with the parchment paper.  It was the first time I've tried using it.  Now, I suspect the problem I had may be a function of having a stone that's just not big enough, I'm not sure.  What happened was that the parchment paper and the pie were just a little bit bigger in diameter than my stone.

The setup I used was placesetter, with grill on top, then pizza stone on top of a bracket that came with it.  The end result was the stone sitting about 3 inches above the grate, right in the middle of the dome.  I was cooking right around 600 degrees.

What happened was that the parchment paper got nuked (burned) around the edges.  This in turn resulted in the edge of the pizza crust getting burned, which was not at all what I was going for.  

I'm not sure how to prevent this in the future, except for perhaps getting a much larger stone.  Any ideas?  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I think you're right on in your assumption. If I were you, I'd make multiple smaller pizzas, as opposed to one large one until you get a proper stone. Remember, the heat around your stone is approaching nuclear, and the dough isn't a fan of that.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I do not use the parchment paper, i just used a flat cookie sheet and lots of cornmeal so the pie will slide off.  Works prefectly.

If the pizza was bigger than the stone anything hanging over will get burnt.  I try to make my pizzas about 2" smaller than the stone ( i have a 14" stone, so i make 12" pizzas).

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2013
    As others have said, anything hanging over the edge of the stone will get nuked. What size stone do you have in what size Egg? If you get a bigger stone, just make sure you still have enough room around the edges for air flow.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have the same issue. I have a MBGE with a 12 inch stone. I normally make 12 inch pies and the parchment overlaps the edges. This part browns and flakes off.

I will not try and make 10 inch pies and trim the parchment, as others have done. I'd suggest trying this as well, sized for your Egg configuration.  If you have a bakery supply store nearby, they might sell parchment rounds but the will likely be no bigger than 10 inches. Otherwise, make a cardboard template and use it to cut out rounds from a parchment roll - this is the cheapest option for parchment. Otherwise, get a bigger stone.

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited February 2013
    On the box of the parchment paper it states (at least mine does) that it will burn at 420* All you need to do is keep it under that if you must use the paper.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• I had my grill at 600 and no overhanging parchment at all. It was a smaller circle than my stone, it ignited before I closed the lid. Lower your temp if you use parchment.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Greeno55
    I fall into the school of parchment users.  My main reason for it is to make the transfer from peel to egg a no-brainer.  I'll place the shaped dough on the parchment, top the pizza than quickly trim the paper a little larger than the pie.  From there I find it super easy to get the pizza on my stone.  I'll leave it on for a few minutes to let the crust set up, give the pizza a quarter/half turn and slide the parchment out.  As far as temp goes, the parchment will be fine on the stone no matter the temp you cook it.  As mentioned, I like to remove it after a few minutes to get the crust right on my hot stone.  Also, do make sure you're letting the stone heat up for about 1/2 an hour.  This also helps keep flames down when opening the egg back up.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Or get one of these...image

• I have a large BGE.  I think the stone is a 15-incher.
  • Or step up to the big leagues and make one of these deep dish in a cast iron pan!

First layer was cheese, then the toppings you see here....(no sauce yet thanks Griffin')

Then another layer of sauce on top of the toppings, and another layer of cheese and then some sauce lol. (pic taken after a few mins at 425*)

After about 25mins on the egg at 425*

After resting on the stove in the pan for about 15mins it comes out so nicely.

Pure bliss....

Bottom

I must say that deep dish is totally the way to go.

• Greeno55 said:
    I fall into the school of parchment users.  My main reason for it is to make the transfer from peel to egg a no-brainer.  I'll place the shaped dough on the parchment, top the pizza than quickly trim the paper a little larger than the pie.  From there I find it super easy to get the pizza on my stone.  I'll leave it on for a few minutes to let the crust set up, give the pizza a quarter/half turn and slide the parchment out.  As far as temp goes, the parchment will be fine on the stone no matter the temp you cook it.  As mentioned, I like to remove it after a few minutes to get the crust right on my hot stone.  Also, do make sure you're letting the stone heat up for about 1/2 an hour.  This also helps keep flames down when opening the egg back up.
    This is not true, the parchment will ignite at high temps as stated on the box of the paper! I have tested it time and time again. It will.

• Or get one of these...image
    What is that?

• "Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 said:
    This is not true, the parchment will ignite at high temps as stated on the box of the paper! I have tested it time and time again. It will.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I've cooked a ton of pizza on parchment paper (never overhanging) and have removed after 3-4 minutes and while the edges are beginning to brown, it hasn't ignited on me ever. I'm sure if I left it in for the full 10-12 it may be a different story.
  • Greeno55 said:
    Greeno55 said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I've cooked a ton of pizza on parchment paper (never overhanging) and have removed after 3-4 minutes and while the edges are beginning to brown, it hasn't ignited on me ever. I'm sure if I left it in for the full 10-12 it may be a different story.
    Wow, mine ignited while I still had the peel under it lol. I just build my rounds on my airbake stone and keep them on it the whole cook, works flawlessly every time, but since I have been into deep dish, I will not really look back.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Greeno55 said:
    Greeno55 said:

I do the same re: parchment paper. The paper browns and gets a bit crispy/flaky around the edges, but it has never ignited. I have done my pies at 550-600°F. @michigan_jason: what temp were you cooking at? Is it possible that your therm is off? I only mention this because it may screw up future cooks if your therm needs to be recalibrated. Pies can be done at nuclear temps and still come out great!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

Greeno55 said:

Greeno55 said:

I do the same re: parchment paper. The paper browns and gets a bit crispy/flaky around the edges, but it has never ignited. I have done my pies at 550-600°F. @michigan_jason: what temp were you cooking at? Is it possible that your therm is off? I only mention this because it may screw up future cooks if your therm needs to be recalibrated. Pies can be done at nuclear temps and still come out great!

I cook pies at 750 usually, have done a few at 1000. My guru, thermapen, and dome thermo are all spot on. Had the egg really hot and the stone as hot as the egg. Paper ignited like a firework. Dont use it anymore, now either deep dish or airbake for pizza.