Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What i get for not reading the rules....

124»

Comments

• chamlin
    chamlin Posts: 19
    chamlin said:
    Hey guys, i have been doing pizzas on the egg for a few years, but i am growing tired of the task of getting the pizza from the prep surface to the stone itself.  A friend of mine says that he preps his on parchment paper.  Picks the whole damn thing up and leaves the parchment paper in the egg during cooking.  Has anyone had any luck with this?  Any suggestions?  I have always been successful at the transfer, but there has to be an easier way.

Appreciate your thoughts.
    That's exactly how I do it.  The only burning of the parchment is if you let it hang over the side.  I transport it on a cookie sheet, slide it on the stone with a corner of the paper, and do the reverse when cooked.  Works great for me.
    Thank you!  It made sense.  While i have your attention, do you have any tricks to getting a crispier crust?  I typically get the fire going pretty hot, allowing the plate setter and stone to get hot, then ill put the pizza on there for about 10-12 min.  It always taste good, but i would love to get it a little crispier.  My guess is that i may be leaving my dough too thick, or putting to many ingredients on it.  Again, any thoughts are appreciated.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I pull the paper after a couple of min's
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ok.  so i THOUGHT i had a nice pizza peel.  That is pretty freaking awesome.  Thanks for sharing.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    YES! Nola's manbearcave is awesome! Please do share so we can live vicariously through you!
    Nola, post yours...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    chamlin said:
    Hey guys, i have been doing pizzas on the egg for a few years, but i am growing tired of the task of getting the pizza from the prep surface to the stone itself.  A friend of mine says that he preps his on parchment paper.  Picks the whole damn thing up and leaves the parchment paper in the egg during cooking.  Has anyone had any luck with this?  Any suggestions?  I have always been successful at the transfer, but there has to be an easier way.

That's exactly how I do it.  The only burning of the parchment is if you let it hang over the side.  I transport it on a cookie sheet, slide it on the stone with a corner of the paper, and do the reverse when cooked.  Works great for me.

That is what I do too VI. Chad, IF you want to remove the paper though, you can slide it out after the pie has been on the hot stone for a few minutes.
  • nolaegghead
    Chubbs said:
    YES! Nola's manbearcave is awesome! Please do share so we can live vicariously through you!
    Nola, post yours...

missing a shot of the mezzanine
    Damn man. I would never leave that place. Then again, I dont know how to use most everything in those pics. Cool setup though.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Nola...is there any hobby you don't have??? :)

I see a few R/C planes in the mix of everything.  Do you still do that?  I dabbled in that for a while, but they have been hanging in my garage for quite some time now.  I have been thinking of dusting them off and flying (most likely crashing) one. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I am speechless

That is the "Where's Waldo" of awesome. Everywhere you look, you see awesome. I bet that $hit is on pontoons so it'll float if flood waters ever come again.
  • nolaegghead
    It used to be a crappy little tin garage that flooded every time it rained hard.  Katrina tore off most of the roof, so I used that as an excuse to build new shop.  Mrs B flipped out when she saw it was 18' high in the back during the framing process (I guess she didn't pick up on that in the drawings ;) ).  Oh, before that, she flipped out on how bit the slab was (about 5x bigger than the old garage). Cable, phone, internet heat, air, alarm system, video surveillance, digital locks, castle bar on the barn doors,  insulated, firewalls, bullet proof glass, and a super loud sound system.  All the doors open to the bathroom (lawn).  Took me and my brother better part of a year to build (nights and weekends) but worth all the work.
    Worth it? You don't say!

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 on parchment for pizza. After a couple minutes the dough forms up enough and I slide the paper out after turning the pie.
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I gotta post a pic of my garage. Not so, what's the word? Neat!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    No, every hobby ever in existence I've been into. (at least every geek hobby like RC, HAM, metal working, wood working, electronics, thermonuclear dog collars)I hope no body studies those pics too closely... :D
    No, every hobby ever in existence I've been into. (at least every geek hobby like RC, HAM, metal working, wood working, electronics, thermonuclear dog collars)I hope no body studies those pics too closely... :D

Well, I saw a Festool dust extractor and table. Solid. What you have on tap in your kegerator? Leave me a key under the mat?
  • nolaegghead
    I just gotta leave you the code - no key required!  Hint - it's less than little steven's IQ.  I have a pretty full keg of Stella Artois.  The fridge usually has a pretty good selection too...

chamlin said:

chamlin said:

Thank you!  It made sense.  While i have your attention, do you have any tricks to getting a crispier crust?  I typically get the fire going pretty hot, allowing the plate setter and stone to get hot, then ill put the pizza on there for about 10-12 min.  It always taste good, but i would love to get it a little crispier.  My guess is that i may be leaving my dough too thick, or putting to many ingredients on it.  Again, any

thoughts are appreciated.

Put a little sugar in your dough for a crispier crust.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I just gotta leave you the code - no key required!  Hint - it's less than little steven's IQ.  I have a pretty full keg of Stella Artois.  The fridge usually has a pretty good selection too...

That was funny right there! Is it a two digit code?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited January 2013

We need to be friends. :)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Tried a few more pizza recipes this weekend.  They all turned out great, and with the crispier crust that i was looking for.  Thanks to all who shared their wisdom.  

• chamlin
    chamlin Posts: 19
    Hey Guys...I hope that you have all been well and enjoying your summer!  Mine has been crazy busy with my business and my kids.  I havent been on here in quite a while, but i would like to poll a couple of you and get some feedback on something.  In October, there is a local chili cook off and my neighbor and i are going to enter it.  He is a fellow egghead as well.  I have stock piled a couple of recipes for smoked chili, but never really tried any.  I have also heard that smoking a bone in rump roast and using it for the chili is tasty.  Do any of you have any thoughts?  Advice or warnings?  I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!!!