Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Me thinks me want a mini....

Okay, please post plenty of pics to sell me on getting a mini. Won "another" ipad at work and thinking of selling it and buying a mini. Lets hear (read: see) it.....
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• You can cook small meals on them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Oh.... is that the deal? The smaller the egg the smaller meals you cook?? Will the mini make me lose some weight too??

Hey Gary... if you used Mangrates on those scallops they would have tasted better..

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited January 2013
    Chubbs said:

Oh.... is that the deal? The smaller the egg the smaller meals you cook?? Will the mini make me lose some weight too??

Hey Gary... if you used Mangrates on those scallops they would have tasted better..

Actually, yes, Chubbs.  It would be a waste to fire up my large Egg to cook 5 scallops.  With just the wife and I at home, I cook on it quite often.  It's perfect for 2 steaks, 2 chicken breasts, etc., although you can certainly put more on than that.

It won't make you lose weight though unless you use the new amazing Mangrates !!!!!!!  That's Bacon Jam on top of the scallops.  I didn't lose weight on that meal because I didn't have the Mangrates.
    [-(

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Chubbs

My mouth is watering just thinking about mangrates... or, is it the bacon jam you refer to... hmmm.

I do like the idea of the mini. It is just the wife and I at home too. Well, and my 6 month old named Mangrates, but I havent found a way to cook for him on the egg yet. We do entertain a lot, but thinking the mini or perhaps a small would be perfect for a quick little meal for me and SWMBO.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

Half doz chicken legs work well:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

Nothing wrong with a porterhouse:

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2013
    imageimage

Seattle, WA
  • Sorry no pictures on my ipad ( have a few on my other computer) Just bought a mini over the holidays. So far so good. On steak, lobster and cod. Ay feedback on low and slow? Thanks, Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2013
    Low and slow just fine. Butts, brisket.... just did 4 lb pastrami.
    Its a true workhorse.

To OP the mini is my only egg and it works forthe wife and 2 little ones. your little one can have some egg baked potatoes. My little girl started on meat @10 months. Kids love the egg food. And yes portion control is in effect on the mini.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thanks SkinnyV - good to know. Looking forward to exploring longer cooks on the Mini. Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • Go for it! If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Dinner will be cooked on ours tonight!
  • Chubbs
    Go for it! If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Dinner will be cooked on ours tonight!

I am really thinking on it hard. I guess my main concern is with the food being so close to the coals and the food being burned. Burgers for example. If you cook a grate full of burgers in the large, the grease gets the fire going pretty good on an open dome (while flipping, etc) withthe burgers a good distance away from the coals. So, my concern isdoing 4 burgers or whatever in the mini, that being that close to the flame with char all of the food. Then again, I guess you can rig a heat deflector.

You think the mini is the ticket over the small?

• Chubbs
    Thanks to all who posted pics and videos by the way. Really helps...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

You can always get a Mini Woo to raise the grate up.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Definitely the setup i would use if i get one. I need this ipad to come in so I can sell it first. The SWMBO might not be too happy with this purchase... but I didnt like the curtains she had made either.... :))
  • Griffin
    Better to ask for forgiveness than permission. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey

@ Chubbs. 4 burgers like this? Also as Jason said that is what the Mini Woo is for.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Knock it off guys - I do not NEED another Egg.  But this is making me think about another.  Wold be great to get a small on for small weeknight cooks that I can get up to temp faster using a little lump.

Maybe a small though for me.

Garnerville, NY
  • Chubbs
    robnybbq said:
    Knock it off guys - I do not NEED another Egg.  But this is making me think about another.  Wold be great to get a small on for small weeknight cooks that I can get up to temp faster using a little lump.

Yeah, trying t odecide between small or mini. Leaning towards mini right now.
  • robnybbq
    My big question is if I get a small does the Large become extinct except for larger low and slows a few times a year?  I got allot of Eggcessories for the large adn really do not want to start all over again or waste them.

Garnerville, NY
  • Griffin
    robnybbq said:

Repeat after me "You DO NEED another Egg. A second egg in inevitable" Do NOT fight it, just go along with it.

Your large will not become extinct, it will still get use, especially for big cooks. But it is nice to fire up a MINI for small stuff during the week. Comes to temp much faster and I think it uses less lump.

Rowlett, Texas

• I shouldn't have read this thread. 
    I wonder if there will be a Mini available after the Sunshine State Eggfest?  If so, I  just might have a plan . . .  :-\"
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Chubbs said:

Go for it! If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Dinner will be cooked on ours tonight!

I am really thinking on it hard. I guess my main concern is with the food being so close to the coals and the food being burned. Burgers for example. If you cook a grate full of burgers in the large, the grease gets the fire going pretty good on an open dome (while flipping, etc) withthe burgers a good distance away from the coals. So, my concern isdoing 4 burgers or whatever in the mini, that being that close to the flame with char all of the food. Then again, I guess you can rig a heat deflector.

You think the mini is the ticket over the small?

To minimize the Egg heating up too much while the lid is open, close the bottom vent more.
    Flint, Michigan
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Great thread (or terrible if you ask SWMBO) but I've been thinking about a 2nd egg and will def be a small or mini. I think mini might be a touch small but I like its portability. Helpful for camping.
    Boom
  • My personal opinion..... if this is your second Egg and you often cook for just two people, the Mini is a slam dunk.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• robnybbq
    2 adults and 1.25 kids (One does not eat much)  I'll have to go "Browsing" this weekend.

Garnerville, NY
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    If you didn't get enough Magic Mini videos, here's links to the 3rd & 4th installments:

http://youtu.be/YXW2tk49VE0
    http://youtu.be/lGTQtVWlhus

and some pics of my Mini at work:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • so the mini doesn't start with out beer either? funny I thought that was only a problem with the large
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain