Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Used BGE XL first time yesterday ... Got a charcoal question

I did some pork tenderloins and then some stuffed hamburgers......went great but I do have one question...I was able to get really good temps but the amount of hot coals and fire was a little less than I wanted...I followed the videos available and after using the fire starters I let it go for about 10 minutes before closing...should I have left it open a little longer perhaps?? Thanks in advance
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,572
    However the lump is kindled in just a few places, either w. starter cubes, or a torch, etc., there will be hot spots for quite some time. It will take some time, dome open or not, to get all of the surface lump burning. Try using a simple chimney starter and spread the lit coals over the surface for a quicker wide fire.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    I close mine right away. Starts quicker closed because of the draw.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • When I cook burgers, I get the coals going for a few minutes then stir them up to get a larger surface burning.
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003

The number of places I light for my XL is related to the cooking grate surface area I intend to use for that cook.  The more grate area l plan to use the more spots I light (usually 4 inches apart).

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • I usually stir my coals to help light other areas.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,783
    edited January 2013
    When you run out of starter cubes, try an electric starter.  They're cheap ($8.00), able to start a good amount of lump (8 minutes) and they last for years.  After 8 minutes, I gently stir the lump no matter what kind of cook I'm doing.  Never any issues with your fire burning out overnight and can also give you a good bed of coals for direct cooking.  Close the lid right away, you should be up to 500 in under 10 minutes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390

I usually stir my coals to help light other areas.

Same here.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    When using using an electric starter, what is the process for a low and slow? When do you close lid etc?

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Don't leave your electric starter out in the rain it rusts... A weed burner is much more fun and scares the cr.. Out of my Neigbor, I see him peeking out his kitchen window with egg envy :-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • @shtgunal3-Put the starter in the middle about 1-2" down. I close the lid after the 8 minutes of startup. Open the top and bottom to what you think is the right spot and let it burn until it's clean smoke.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,572
    I like my Wagner heat gun. I can also place it in the bottom vent to speed up higher temps.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,870
    edited January 2013
    Heat guns work great.  I've settled on using a torch because it's cordless, but there's less sparks with a heat gun.

http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/biggreenegg.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/62/b00571f1d50a9ef4a1992af200e6a5.jpg

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,141
    If you have power near your egg, an electric starter is great. If a low and slow, the starter is put to the front and a few chunks of lump piled on the element. If for grilling, I bury the element in the center. After 8 minutes, remove starter by giving it a twist to stir around the "lit" lump, close the dome both vents wide open. The egg is a chimney starter, albeit an expensive one, but it is a chimney. Let it do its thing...
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I like my weed burner because it satisfies my inner pyro.  In the summer, I burn weeds in the driveway & fence line while waiting for the Egg to stabilize.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·