Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finished early - Need Help!

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
9# pork shoulder put on last night and is already at 187. What can I do to hold it for about 10+ hours?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    When do you need it done by?
  • bhugg
    Options
    Dinner at 7
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I would choke the Egg down to about 225 and cook it to 200 internal, then Foil, towel, cooler up to about 5 hours.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    You put it on way too early.  I would follow Hi5 method, but you will probably have to reheat.
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I agree
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bhugg
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I planned on 2 hours/lb. should I pull then reheat? Or reheat whole?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    bhugg said:
    I planned on 2 hours/lb. should I pull then reheat? Or reheat whole?
    If it were me I would finish cooking it now, take it off and reheat later.  
  • bhugg
    Options
    But should I pull the meat then reheat or leave it whole and pull after reheat?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    One option would be to FTC them for about 5 hours or so, then pull them and put it in a tray covered in foil and put them in an oven at about 170 until time to eat. If you can slow the cook down enough that may get you to dinner time. I have cooked them to 205 many times and they are always great.

Others may have better ideas but that's what I would do.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    That was a little confusing:
    Cook to 200ish internal
    FTC for 5ish hours
    Pull and put in covered pans
    Keep warm in an 170 oven until time to eat.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I like what Hi54putty says - that's what I'd do. If you are saucing, the sauce will provide some moisture while it rests in the foiled/covered pans. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bhugg
    Options
    Egg is reading 216 and shoulder is 189. It's been 189-190 for the past 2 hours. Could I be entering a late stall?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The "second stall" is not uncommon but not as predictable-I've seen the butt take 3-4 hours to get from the hi 180's to low 190's-your good fortune perhaps as you will likely be able to FTC all the way til ready to pull.  If your dome is 216 then your grid will only be 216 or lower which means it could take  quite a while to get to the fininsh-line.  You can always ramp up your temp to punch it home.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I put two 7.5 lb'ers on last night at 8 pm. They were up to 120F internal when I hit the sack at 11 pm. Got up at 5 am to check - 176 internal. By 7 am, they hit 180 and have been there ever since. I'm using my new PartyQ and had it set at 225 grid. Been at 250 dome pretty steady. I just turned the PartyQ up to 250 to try and push thru this stall. I have no schedule - just plan to pull them, bag the pork, and freeze it for later use. Will probably keep some out to eat in the next day or two.

It was 26F and calm last night at 11 pm. Woke up to 18F and very windy. PartyQ has been holding temps ROCK solid through it all. I am impressed! I did have to replace the batteries about an hour ago. Got a bit more than 14 hrs out of them. It appears as though my lump is going to hold out. I had her filled about as full as I could get it without the platesetter sitting on lump.