Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4x4's

Where does everyone get their untreated 4x4's at? I have searched everywhere and all I can find is treated. Also all I can find is pine where is everyone finding other types of wood?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sometimes I go directly to a small mill...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Where are you? In the Pacific North West, Lowes, Home Depot and other lumber yards have 4X4 (nominally 3-1/2"X3-1/2") available in cedar, hemlock or spruce untreated, the more common is cedar. If you are making a table, cedar is fine for "legs". 
    We have some specialty lumber yards offering 3X3 and 4X4 in other "exotic" woods, maple, oak etc...
    If you had to you can laminate a couple of 2X4's together, produces a 3X3-1/2. Or if you have a table saw, rip the 2X4 (1-1/2X3-1/2) to 1-1/2X3, then laminate to create a 3X3. Good luck! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I live in east tn plenty of lumber yards around but all of them sell rough cut lumber and I dont have a planer.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm sure you can order them through Lowes

Murfreesboro here...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN