Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Removing Egg from Table

I want to treat my table before I use my lg egg for the first time, trying to prevent dripping stains, etc.  I've read several post on removing the egg however I'm even more confused now, since it seems everyone has a different opinion. Let's say I remove all the guts, lightening the load weight.  Is it easier to remove the top, then lift out the bottom, or should I just open the top, allowing me to reach in and move the entire egg with the o assistance of someone else?
·

Comments

• MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I would remove the top.  Trying to move the egg with the top attached, and opened seems risky. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810

·
  • Depending on your strength, a large base can be picked up by one person (two is better) if it is emptied with the dome removed. 

If you have the folks to help, that's what I'd do - do not be concerned about putting the dome back on, it is fairly simple. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,065
    I placed my own...disassembled. I used cardboard to protect the egg while sort of sliding it...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    another alternative.  But I still used two people.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141223

·
  • Don't forget to zip tie your hinge closed before you take the dome off.
    ·
  • GBCGBC Posts: 58
    Depending on your strength, a large base can be picked up by one person (two is better) if it is emptied with the dome removed. 

If you have the folks to help, that's what I'd do - do not be concerned about putting the dome back on, it is fairly simple. 
    What is the best way to remove the dome?  I should I unscrew the hinge from the top dome or should I remove the entire hinge?  

As for zip tying the hinge, will any zip ties work?
    ·
    Band off the top....really strong zips.
    ·
  • Yes, I agree taking the Egg apart works best for putting into as well as out of tables.  Do you still have shipping clips that came on the new Egg?  These work well in keeping band compressed.

Better to have a person help with the base, but it can be done by yourself.

Good luck.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • To remove the dome, just loosen the bolts holding the bands together. Leave the bands attached to the hinge.  Like was mentioned earlier, either use zip ties, or the original white plastic keepers that came on the bands before you assembled it.

Then pull the band off from the base.....and lift the base outta the table. I am 6'-1" and have no problem getting the base in or out on my own. You may or may not need an extra hand....
    ·
  • Me & Wilma take the guts out and...did I say "guts"? I meant "nuts". Of course that means I do most of the lifting.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·

Yes, I agree taking the Egg apart works best for putting into as well as out of tables.  Do you still have shipping clips that came on the new Egg?  These work well in keeping band compressed.

Better to have a person help with the base, but it can be done by yourself.

Good luck.

The business that I bought it from assembled it for me, so I don't have the shipping clips.  
    ·
    How easy is it to get the bands back on and aligned when I go to reassemble the egg?
    ·

Me & Wilma take the guts out and...did I say "guts"? I meant "nuts". Of course that means I do most of the lifting.

Fred, stop it. You're taking your nuts out?

·
  • GBC said:
    How easy is it to get the bands back on and aligned when I go to reassemble the egg?
    Simple, band on the bottom, snug but not tight. Put the dome on the base center it. I lean on the dome pushing it down on the base while I position the bands and tighten away. Maybe it's just my egg but it aligns very well. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·