Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermopen

BGE has 3 different "instant" thermometers they sell with their brand name on them.  One sells for about $10, one for $30 and one about $85.  Does anyone know if the higher one is the thermopen that everyone raves about? 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    Nope a rebranded maverick someone had a thread complaining about the one they got at eggtoberfest. Spen the extra 4 dollars and get a thermapen in your favorite color
    ·
  • The BGE PT100 is a rebranded Maverick PT100 - BGE doesn't even change the model number. 

It does use a type K thermocouple. CDN also makes a number of thermos, their "equivalent to the Thermapen" is far from equivalent. 

The Thermapen works, it is that simple. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Ding, ding, ding...You're the lucky winner.  Was just looking on Amazon and found thee mav for about $65.  Thanks for the tip.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • Do yourself a favor and get a Thermapen.  They are a little more money, but they are worth it!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • @erniemcclain - The PT100 and the CTC 572tc
    http://www.cdnw.com/product/proaccurate®-folding-thermocouple-thermometer-yellow

Simply do not have the response time of a Thermapen. I bought a CDN unit (new this past July) and returned it. CDN was in the process of replacing all of the units under warranty - which is 5 years. 
    I've seen the BGE PT100 in operation - it generally was slower than the CDN unit I returned. If you want a thermo that provides accurate quick readings, get a Thermapen, if you want something that reads in under 6 to 9 seconds, there are a number of digitals out there for under $30. 
    Based on personal experience, I would not spend $60 when a $20 pocket digital will work just as fast. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Do yourself a favor and get a Thermapen.  They are a little more money, but they are worth it!
    +1...can't beat the Thermapen!

Alexander City,Al
    ·