Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermopen

BGE has 3 different "instant" thermometers they sell with their brand name on them.  One sells for about $10, one for $30 and one about $85.  Does anyone know if the higher one is the thermopen that everyone raves about? 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Nope a rebranded maverick someone had a thread complaining about the one they got at eggtoberfest. Spen the extra 4 dollars and get a thermapen in your favorite color
    ·
  • The BGE PT100 is a rebranded Maverick PT100 - BGE doesn't even change the model number. 

It does use a type K thermocouple. CDN also makes a number of thermos, their "equivalent to the Thermapen" is far from equivalent. 

The Thermapen works, it is that simple. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Ding, ding, ding...You're the lucky winner.  Was just looking on Amazon and found thee mav for about $65.  Thanks for the tip.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • Do yourself a favor and get a Thermapen.  They are a little more money, but they are worth it!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • @erniemcclain - The PT100 and the CTC 572tc
    http://www.cdnw.com/product/proaccurate®-folding-thermocouple-thermometer-yellow

Simply do not have the response time of a Thermapen. I bought a CDN unit (new this past July) and returned it. CDN was in the process of replacing all of the units under warranty - which is 5 years. 
    I've seen the BGE PT100 in operation - it generally was slower than the CDN unit I returned. If you want a thermo that provides accurate quick readings, get a Thermapen, if you want something that reads in under 6 to 9 seconds, there are a number of digitals out there for under $30. 
    Based on personal experience, I would not spend $60 when a $20 pocket digital will work just as fast. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Do yourself a favor and get a Thermapen.  They are a little more money, but they are worth it!
    +1...can't beat the Thermapen!

Alexander City,Al
    ·