Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct or Indirect..... That is the Wing Question

I've always done wings indirect. Anyone one with experience direct?? If so what some temp?? It's Christmas party time and I'm wanting to rock some magnificent wingage. Thanks!

Comments

• Depending on your egg, I'd stay with what you are used to. direct on my medium requires a little more attention, indirect is "Ronco cooking", set it and forget it. 

Dome of 400 indirect, dust of starch, crispy without attention. Indirect, the setter takes hot or cool spots of the burning lump out of the cook. 

Direct, I use a lower dome, 325-350, but must watch the char on some of the wings. My buddy's Large seems to be a little more forgiving when using it direct. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    i go raised and direct at 400 for wings, for chickens, for turkey drumsticks, for cornish hens, etc....whole spatchcocked turkeys---- you get the idea.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Indirect 375-400 for 45 minutes or so. Crispy skin and no worries or burning this way when you're not paying attention.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    i like direct when i only have a few wings or spatchcock but when I do 20+ wings at one time, I like indirect.  My Logic is that chicken with skin grilled direct drip chicken fat, and i am not a big fan of the smoke taste this creates when it hits the coals.  My experience with 20+ wings is that you really taste "chicken fat smoke"  much more, so I moved to indirect when the qty is higher . . good luck!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Indirect gives you more time to drink while they cook away. Direct and you better stand by the egg
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Indirect gives you more time to drink while they cook away. Direct and you better stand by the egg
    What he said. The first time I did them, I did direct and had to babysit them so they wouldnt burn up.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    You can check out this cook I did couple days ago for a you tube video on the new rig extender and sliding grid - 18 wings and 2 spatchcock birds.  It may sound silly but the best thing I can suggest for wings is don't over think them or get to fancy.  keep them in the dome at a nice steady temp to render the fat from the skin and you're golden.  

sorry if the video goes to long or lpain to load, it's my first shot at you tube......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I do raised direct at 400-450. Just did some tonight with DP Tsunami Spin and finished with Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce. It's true you have to be a little more attentive when you do direct, but I think it gives you a crispier exterior without having to add cornstarch. It also gives you something to do between drinks. :-)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Another vote for direct-but gotta be raised grid in my book-need the distance from the lump to mitigate the flare ups.  350-400*F on the dome -flip once at around 20-30 mins then finish with your sauce of choice ( if that's your recipe) at around 50 mins in for about 5 mins.  Don't forget the supervisory beverage(s).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    I do my wings indirect at 350 until the skin is nice and crispy.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Direct is a great way to cook wings. I like 250-275 on a raised grate for at least an hour. 
    Lots of roads to a good wing though.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Raised direct here, too.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Thanks gang, as usual it seems there is no wrong way to egg it. Thanks again!!!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    350-400 raised direct.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I did 60 wings last night in the snow, went indirect around 400.  I used my stainless grid extender but i made the mistake of keeping my cast iron grate as the lower grate, those got dark quick.  After 20mins i moved them all up top on extender. It was a chicken orgy - like a scene from eyes wide shut - but the pyramid of meat still got somewhat chrispy.  I used 3 parts dizzy dust and 1 part corn starch and let them sit on cooling rack in fridge for couple hrs.  finished with buffalo/butter and an asian sauce i whipped up with hoison/soy/rooster/honey/ketchup/rice-vin/sesamee/etc.  Good eats but wife said she likes skin better when direct, also that cast iron gets too hot for wings!
     image image image  image
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • I do them at 300-325 direct, and not raised.  Coat them heavily with your favorite DP dust or Old Bay (really love them with Old Bay).  I normally let them go for 20 minutes, frequently turning and moving them around based on where the Egg is hot.  
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I prefer direct, high in the dome, dome temp 375 to 425 depending on where the egg settles. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

• Indirect 375-400 for 45 minutes or so. Crispy skin and no worries or burning this way when you're not paying attention.
    This is the way, wings are so good, but if you have to keep flipping and moving, it becomes a PITA. Indirect is the Ronco method of wing cooks, "Set it and forget it". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I do my wings direct at 400 and they come out perfect, every time. I dry rub the wings. I put them on the grill and close the lid. I turn them every 3 1/2 minutes and rotate them around the grid as needed to prevent some from burning and others from being undercooked. I usually turn them four times for a total cooking time of about 18 minutes. If any sauce is desired, it is done at the table.

Tim
  • For those that do their wings raised direct, are you doing them at the felt line or above (using an extender)?
  • I took the advice of the thread and did my next ones direct.  I raised the grid to felt level using 3 fire bricks laying on thier side.  400 degrees for about 20 minutes with some turning.  Turned out lovely. .