Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon attempt

I don't have the raging river so I figure...
Dizzy dust
Grill direct @ 300
Start glazing and flipping
Pull when flaky

To plank or not to plank?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    According to LS, coating with mayo keeps it from sticking to the grate.  I haven't tried this, just learned the trick.  It's supposed to not add any mayo flavor (not that that would be bad, tarter sauce has mayo).   Direct raised is fine, 300-400.  I pull when the center is just starting to turn opaque - around 125-130.  Probably take 10 minutes or so, depends on how thick.  I noticed some people cook their salmon for a lot longer.   You can also bake it indirect if you want more smoke.
    If you plank, soak the plank first to give the fish a head start.  Cook direct - you want the plank to eventually start smoldering for a cedar or alder (or whatever it's made of) smokey flavor.  If you're not smoldering the plank, you might was well not use one.
    edited December 2012
    Living in the Pacific northwest, wild salmon is available at the docks on a pretty regular basis. We do a lot of salmon. Grilling can be tricky, if you overcook (it flakes) it can be hard to get it off the grill in one piece. 
    Is it a skinless fillet, or is it whole fish? 

For skinned cuts, my preference is plank. We don't eat the skin (the dog is licking her lips as I type this) so it is done skin side down if not a whole fish, indirect, 325-375 dome, depending on your egg. You can rub with your preference or we use dill/salt/pepper, and if you used any oil (butter and oil before the rub is required IMHO on anything but sockeye), place some lemon slices on the surface during the cook. If a whole fish, lemon slices inside as well. Cook to temp or it flakes, easy off cause you pick up the plank. 

Skinless fillets, we pan fry, or as the restaurants say, we saute or sometimes poach. 

When I grill direct I use a basket, foolproof and it always stays together. Direct makes for crispy skin. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • What skiddy said about over cooking, dont do it 

Also from the PNW and do also do a lot of salmon, recently I have started marinating the salmon before cooking and it seems to have taken the fish to another level,

EVO, garlic, soy sauce, crushed mustard seeds and brown sugar (did kaluha the last time, good reviews, but have to repeat before recomending) refrigerated 2 hrs in ziplock (If I have a big enough bag) flipping once

brush with marinade before applying rub, 

I do in a basket skin down 350 direct for 15-20 foil for 5 -10 

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Duck...mixture amounts? Sounds great. Do you add any smoke. Can you baste on a plank?

Thanks
  • nolaegghead
    Dude, try brining it first - it's unbelievably good.  I did it with steelhead trout and it was the bomb.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1240468/#Comment_1240468

marinade
    1/2 cup soy, 1/4 cup EVO, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 1/3 cup brown sugar

I have also melted a pat of butter into real maple syrup and brush with that mixture before rub

Cant go wrong with DP raging river

I dont plank, this is may be a me thing but when everyone and there brother is doing something, I tend to go the other direction, everyone around here planks, you can even buy your fish with the plank at Costco, and it seems every time some one has a bite of well prepared salmon they ask what kind of plank you used, I enjoy saying none.

That being said it probably works I just have never tried it

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    @duck_hunter, great suggestion, the soy based asian marinades go very well with most seafoods. I use equal parts soy, oil, lemon juice or rice vinegar, Taiwanese cooking wine and brown sugar. As for the garlic, I tend to stay away just because it overpowers the fish to me, but others really like it and usually complain if I don't use it. We also add minced ginger and use dry mustard, maybe 1/4-1/2 the amounts used in the other ingredients. 
    As you note, it is very easy to overcook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I forgot 1/4 cup crushed mustard in marinade

@skiddymarker we have a vampire problem in WA so I have acquired a taste for garlic (anything that keeps me from having to watch those aweful movies :p ) tell me more more about the Taiwanese cooking wine

• henapple
    Urban or suburban salmon? Anyone use a maple-bourbon glaze?
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I'm a big fan of the plank. Cedar planked salmon is my go-to birthday meal.  I like to buy a solid chunk of salmon, with the skin still on, and cut my own filets. The lump and the plank provide enough smoke flavor without having to add chips.

Skin down, on the plank, cook direct at 350-375 until it becomes opaque and flaky.  My favorite way to prepare it is with a glaze made of honey, orange juice, lime juice and chili powder.  If I can track the exact recipe down, I'll re-post. 

The only issue I have is trying to scrape the salmon skin off of the plank when I'm done grilling.  I've found it to be almost impossible to get all of it off of the plank.  In addition to the strong smoke smell, the fish skin on the plank means it gets stored in the garage.  If anyone has a tip on how to get the plank un-funkdified, I'll take it.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    throw the plank in the dishwasher.  The enzymes in the detergent should remove the skin.
    I put a teriaki marinade on the filets, and place on a pre-soaked cedar plank at 350 -400 (in that range).  I put a probe in the center of the filet and take it off at 142 F.  I have found that 135F-140F is a little mushy in the center for my taste.  142F seems to be the perfect texture in the center of the filet.

In terms of cleaning the plank, I run it through my surface planer.  Works like a champ!
    :))
  • All the above works fine.  About the only way to ruin your salmon is to overcook it.  Skin on or skin off, both fine.  Flip or don't flip, just fine.  I do not like cedar planks, just a personal preference.  I have used alder planks and they work fine.  A little DP raging river, a little maple syrup and you can't go wrong.  I love adding an alderwood chunk.

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    @SaltySam I would love a recipe of your glaze you make.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • I forgot 1/4 cup crushed mustard in marinade

@skiddymarker we have a vampire problem in WA so I have acquired a taste for garlic (anything that keeps me from having to watch those aweful movies :p ) tell me more more about the Taiwanese cooking wine

@Duck_hunter, Understand about the vampires, I worry every time I shop in Bellingham and the fact Twilight was filmed in "our" neck of the woods adds to the concern. 
    Most Taiwanese, steam (which actually means distill) their own rice wine - as much as 40% by volume. Not sophisticated at all, kinda asian moonshine. Taiwan cooking wine is a mildly salted version with about 10% alcohol by volume and can be purchased at many asian markets. Any recipe that calls for sherry, probably originally used asian cooking wine. I pick this up at T&T. 

@SaltySam, I use red cedar shakes, natural untreated ones. I keep a bundle in the shed for repairs to the house. When used for planking I just throw it into the kindling pile. I can get two or three uses out of one. Maybe you are cooking too much if the skin is that "funkdified". After four years, I'm still on the first $20 bundle. Soak them overnight, then grill. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    We go super easy, soy sauce and topped with brown sugar. Skin down done in 12-14 mins. Wild only.
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    Ok. Went with the teriyaki marinade, cedar plank, 425 till 135. It was great. The kids loved it. Did asparagus wrapped in hdaf, evo with salt and pepper. Nice meal. I didn't have crushed mustard so I substituted some squeezed mustard. Worked.
  • SaltySam
    @Kosko  The recipe for the glaze is as follows:

2 TBSP olive oil
    Juice of 1 fresh lime
    3 TBSP of honey (3 globs)
    1 tsp chili powder
    salt and pepper (to taste)

It's somewhat borrowed from a Rachael Ray cookbook.  (Lime and Honey Glazed Salmon with warm black bean and corn salad, from the 365: No Repeats Cookbook)  The glaze is supposed to be drizzled over a skillet-fried salmon.  I've done it on the egg and really liked it.  Either way it's one of my favorite meals. I'd like to know how it turns out for you.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• henapple
    My cedar came clean easily....btw
  • Kosko
    Thanks SaltySam . I may try this weekend.
  • @henapple, great looking cook. You don't need any help!

• henapple
    All the credit goes to the egg and the guys here. Love learning. It was good for my first try.
  • @henapple my mouth is watering looking at your pics, I am going to pull some king out of the freezer as soon I am done typing, 

nice work 
  • so I pulled some elk steaks too, going to do my take on surf and turf, may pick up some prawns to tie it all together cant wait till dinner tomorrow 
  • Kosko
    @SaltySam I am finally trying your recipe tonight! I will let you know how it come out.
  • SaltySam
    @Kosko. How'd it go? Worth mentioning?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    I have had the best luck planking my salmon. The taste and texture is consistent for me, plus you don't have to flip it.
  • nolaegghead
    You don't have to flip it if you don't use a plank either.  The plank is a little gimmicky, but the idea is the alder or cedar plank starts to burn and smoke, and that's the flavor it adds - and it doubles as a pan.  You can get the same effect by throwing in some chips, but that isn't as sexy sounding.  I use them. 

I see pics of plank cooks where the plank never got hot enough to smoke, maybe because it was a $5 williams-sonoma plank, I dunno.  But in that case, might as well use a baking pan because it ain't gonna taste any different and the plank is harder to clean.  Sure looks nice with the presentation ritual, I have no problems either way.  Just an insomniac here.
    I am defenitely a money burner, I find myself throwing the plank away after one use. Don't know why, maybe because I feel like I have too? Nola, I am curious if you don't have to flip even without the plank are using a plate setter then or not or both? Just curious.