Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Emu Fillet

Found an Emu fan fillet in the freezer the other day, so decided we'd have it tonight.

I tied it up to help it cook evenly as it's kind of a funky shape. After tying, I sprinkled on some DP Cow Lick rub.

Got the egg up to 550° dome, and put the fillet on. I pulled it off at 145° based on some internal temps I found online. Let it rest for a few, and then sliced. It wasn't bad, but I don't think I'd rush out to buy another one.....too lean for my tastes.

Had a green salad and some farro with it.

After dinner I had a nice Imperial coffee stout and a smoke:

DSCN1946.JPG
800 x 600 - 152K
DSCN1948.JPG
800 x 600 - 188K
DSCN1957.JPG
800 x 600 - 159K
DSCN1951.JPG
800 x 600 - 151K

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 2,132
    Emu, that's that ostrich-looking thing, right?
    From the third pic it looked surprisingly juicy and delicious, sorry it wasn't good.  
    :(

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Yeah....I think it looks like an ostrich?

It wasn't bad.....it just didn't knock my socks off. If I were to do one again, I'd look to marinade it in something. It's extremely lean, there was no marbling what-so-ever.
  • AleBrewer said:
    Yeah....I think it looks like an ostrich?

It wasn't bad.....it just didn't knock my socks off. If I were to do one again, I'd look to marinade it in something. It's extremely lean, there was no marbling what-so-ever.

Ostritch and emu have to be done rare. They are super lean but can be cooked like steak. 125-130 or it's sawdust. When done right, they are really good but most people can't wrap their head around cooking a bird to rare.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 8,915
    AleBrewer said:

Ostritch and emu have to be done rare. They are super lean but can be cooked like steak. 125-130 or it's sawdust. When done right, they are really good but most people can't wrap their head around cooking a bird to rare.
    Rare (or medium rare) is how I like my duck breast.

• AleBrewer said:

• AleBrewer said:

My original plan was to cook until 130°, and pull them to rest for 10-15 min. I was poking around on the web, and found recommended temps of 145°-155° for a med rare to light medium.

It wasn't that it was dry, it just didn't have much flavor to me. This is the first time I've ever had emu.....so I didn't know what to expect. If I were to do it again, I'd look to marinade it to give it a bit more flavor.