Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Hilarious NYT Review of Guy Fieri's New Times Square Restaurant

Comments

• Sounds like I am the minority here but can't say I'm a Guy Fieri hater. He can be somewhat annoying at times but I find DDD entertaining. I have been to a number of restaurants featured on there and they rarely disappoint. In addition, his show has given these restaurants an incredible amount of exposure and helped them to astronomically grow their small business. There is a guy on The Smoke Ring Forum from Minnesota that had Triple D visit his place and he benefited tremendously. What's wrong with that? So maybe he isn't the greatest restauranteur in the world? I have said many times that I would love to have his job to be paid basically to go all over the country and meet interesting people and eat. Doesn't sound like a bad gig.
    Agreed with all but if you are going to make that your public persona, you are going to get the grief that comes with it. If Guy is smart (and I'm sure he is) he could care less as he counts his millions (see: Larry The Cable Guy).

The issue with him as a restaurateur is that he is not, nor has he ever been a chef or a food person at all.  He won a reality show to host DDD and Food Network has pimped him out as a food guy to do cooking shows and open restaurants. His restaurants are legendarily horrible and schlocky- but financially successful. 

I have nothing against the guy, but when you are famous and open horrible restaurants based solely on your public persona, you are going to get killed. 

Cen-Tex, Agreed he sets himself up for criticism on his restaurant. As I said, I would take his job in a second and smile every time my paycheck came in.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Hooray for reality TV! I think the recent shows on Food Network are ruining the TV chef genre. 

We need more Emeril and Alton and less "buy my pots and pans" stars.

• Food network has gotten to be almost unwatchable...the cooking channel is much better as a network....Top Chef is best cooking show out there and has been for a while.
  • Griffin said:

I'd take Guy's job in a second. Not a bad way to make a living IMHO.

Last time I was in San Antonio, my friend took me to a place that DDD  had covered. he's good friends with the owner. The owner said Guy was a @#!*% and that even though business picked up, he wish he had never done the show. Every time it re-runs, the locals and frequent patrons can't get in to eat and have to stay away for a week or two till it dies down.

A problem every restauranteur would love to have I would think
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Sounds like I am the minority here but can't say I'm a Guy Fieri hater. He can be somewhat annoying at times but I find DDD entertaining. I have been to a number of restaurants featured on there and they rarely disappoint. In addition, his show has given these restaurants an incredible amount of exposure and helped them to astronomically grow their small business. There is a guy on The Smoke Ring Forum from Minnesota that had Triple D visit his place and he benefited tremendously. What's wrong with that? So maybe he isn't the greatest restauranteur in the world? I have said many times that I would love to have his job to be paid basically to go all over the country and meet interesting people and eat. Doesn't sound like a bad gig.
    Agreed with all but if you are going to make that your public persona, you are going to get the grief that comes with it. If Guy is smart (and I'm sure he is) he could care less as he counts his millions (see: Larry The Cable Guy).

The issue with him as a restaurateur is that he is not, nor has he ever been a chef or a food person at all.  He won a reality show to host DDD and Food Network has pimped him out as a food guy to do cooking shows and open restaurants. His restaurants are legendarily horrible and schlocky- but financially successful. 

I have nothing against the guy, but when you are famous and open horrible restaurants based solely on your public persona, you are going to get killed. 

Cen-Tex, Agreed he sets himself up for criticism on his restaurant. As I said, I would take his job in a second and smile every time my paycheck came in.
    Me too.
  • Eggcelsior
    Food network has gotten to be almost unwatchable...the cooking channel is much better as a network....Top Chef is best cooking show out there and has been for a while.
    I agree about Top Chef, but even that is becoming tiring with all the product placement. Hold on, I need to put my left overs in some Glad-ware and take my Toyota Highlander to Whole Foods.I will get back to you after that.
  • Food network has gotten to be almost unwatchable...the cooking channel is much better as a network....Top Chef is best cooking show out there and has been for a while.
    I agree about Top Chef, but even that is becoming tiring with all the product placement. Hold on, I need to put my left overs in some Glad-ware and take my Toyota Highlander to Whole Foods.I will get back to you after that.
    well, if all "you people" wouldn't fast forward through the ads they wouldn't have to do placement the way they do. :))
  • Eggcelsior
    Cen-Tex: apparently, they think we are getting too fat as well. 

Top Chef and Healthy Choice: Product placement wins again
  • Yikes....maybe someone not on iPad can fix that link...
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152

This just isn't true. He has a culinary and hospitality degree from UNLV and had three successful restaurants in Northen California BEFORE he went on "Next Food Network Star". There are now 6 or 7 restaurants in Norcal run by a very competant group and the food is really very good. Now I can't speak to what is being served in NY, that's a whole seperate deal but let's at least speak the truth.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think his degree is in hotel management, he's not formally trained as a chef, according to his wiki page, which has been up for years.

OK Bachlors degree in Hospitality Management. http://www.guyfieri.com/about-guy/

We can split hairs all day about what classes he took but clearly he was headed in the restaurant direction before TV.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    drbbq said:

OK Bachlors degree in Hospitality Management. http://www.guyfieri.com/about-guy/

We can split hairs all day about what classes he took but clearly he was headed in the restaurant direction before TV.

I don't think nola was splitting any hairs, just stating what he read on the website.  I read your link and can't see any mention of him being a chef, which is what nola was referring too.  All I see is a kid who made pretzels when he was younger. 
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152

Now I remember why I quit coming here.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    It used to be a much more friendlier place Ray

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• IrishDevl
    drbbq said:

Now I remember why I quit coming here.

If you are going to get upset over that, then don't let the door hit in the a__ on the way out.
  • nolaegghead
    hey hey hey, we're all friends here.  :D
  • I love Guy Fieri's DDD.  He's a performer and does that very well.  He's not the Pope, he's in show biz.  So he's invested in a bunch of joints and trades on his name.  Who doesn't, given the opportunity?  Whether it's a sauce on a supermarket shelf or an automobile, only a fool would expect it to be good because of some celebrity name attached to it.  He does have a restaraunt not far from me but I've never been tempted to go there but I'll continue to watch and enjoy DDD.  I did find the "review" entertaining.  There are a few dishes I turn out well and I enjoy seeing some celeb-chef taking a hit.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • hey hey hey, we're all friends here.  :D
    I'm outa here. I remember when this used to be a much more friendlier place

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Evidently you haven't...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    drbbq said:

...He has a culinary and hospitality degree from UNLV 

...but let's at least speak the truth.

Not to "split hairs" here, but you opened the door with "...but let's at least speak the truth." 

Being formally trained isn't a big deal to me, but it's a kinda a big deal in an executive chef's bio, if for no other reason than to explain away the NYC critic's pompousness.  So anyway, I was just following orders.  I IZ Speakin' TRUUUUFFFFF!!!!

Well actually you said "Hotel management" which isn't the same as "Hospitality Managemenet" and now you threw in "Executive Chef" instead of Chef.

But honestly real chefs don't much care about your education if you know how to cook. The ACF does have designations and Certified Ececutive Chef is a serious one but I don't see Guy claiming that.

I've seen him cook and I've eaten at his restaurants in California and I've discussed cooking with him and he knows what he's doing. Matter of fact he regularly cooks on a Big Green Egg at home and at his request there are two in front of Tex Wasabi's in Sacramento. The restaurants in California pre-date his appearance on the Food Network so the idea that he signed on in name only just isn't true. There is much more to this guy than most people know.

But success and funny hair makes him an easy target and I guess it makes people feel better about themselves to bash him.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • nolaegghead
    drbbq said:

Well actually you said "Hotel management" which isn't the same as "Hospitality Managemenet" and now you threw in "Executive Chef" instead of Chef.

But success and funny hair makes him an easy target and I guess it makes people feel better about themselves to bash him.

http://www.unlv.edu/alumni/profiles/fieri  From the university he graduated from - (verbatim) "Degree: '90 BS Hotel Management"

I used the term "Executive Chef" loosely, not in any connection to formal training - but in reference to his role in his restaurants.  Maybe "Celebrity Chef" would have been a better term. Bottom line, he has a big role in the direction of the food/menu and he's an owner/manager.

And I haven't bashed him here at all if you read what I wrote, nor commented on his appearance.  I'm sure he's a good cook, or he wouldn't be where he is today.
    drbbq said:

But honestly real chefs don't much care about your education if you know how to cook. The ACF does have designations and Certified Ececutive Chef is a serious one but I don't see Guy claiming that.

I've seen him cook and I've eaten at his restaurants in California and I've discussed cooking with him and he knows what he's doing. Matter of fact he regularly cooks on a Big Green Egg at home and at his request there are two in front of Tex Wasabi's in Sacramento. The restaurants in California pre-date his appearance on the Food Network so the idea that he signed on in name only just isn't true. There is much more to this guy than most people know.

It is nice to hear that feedback from you and glad you had interaction with him that paints him in a different light than the articles.  However, to say people feel better about themselves bashing success just isn't true (at least I speak for myself).  As a big fan of cooking and food in general I just don't love Guy Fieri - cut, dry and simple.  He doesn't fit what I think a chef is or someone that has the culinary experience and smarts that I look for, has absolutely nothing to do with success - you missed the point completely - possibly because you met him once and feel the need to defend him.  Most people on here either bought or are very interested in the big green egg, which tells me they love food above and beyond what a typical american (or any place for that matter) does.  Guy Fieri appeals to the average person when it comes to marketing, restaurants etc... I see this as people who eat to eat, I eat and cook because I love the experience.  Conclusion, this board of above average food critics will bash Guy, not because he made money and we hate people that make money, but because we feel he doesn't fit within what we believe a true culinary expert should or could be. 
  • I'm on board with Dr BBQ here. If you don't like the hair, backwards sunglasses and persona that's cool. He and his food are not for everybody. But the fact is the man can cook. He started working in the kitchens in restaurants as a teenager and as stated owned/operated 3 restuaranrs before becoming famous. His first big break was winning Next Food Network Star which is a cooking show. His series Guy's Big Bite is a cooking show.

Like Dr BBQ I am in the food business so I have a lot of respect for what Guy has accomplished in the industry. At this stage of his career I guarantee you he does as much actual cooking as Bobby Flay, Mario Batalli and Wolfgang Puck. On a personal note I have eaten at three of his restuarants and have enjoyed all of them. Two of the most popular recipe's that I serve in my business are slightly modified versions of his. I have a good friend here in St Louis that will be featured on DDD in early December and he has nothing but good things to say about Guy.

Another good friend of mine that has long owned a restaurant in NYC told me the review has more to do with a very high profile Californian coming into NYC with much fanfare needing to be taken down a notch by a "homer" stuffed shirt reviewer. But just like Yelp and Trip Advisor you have to weed out and disregard the biased reviews.

• IrishDevl

"Another good friend of mine that has long owned a restaurant in NYC told me the review has more to do with a very high profile Californian coming into NYC with much fanfare needing to be taken down a notch by a "homer" stuffed shirt reviewer. But just like Yelp and Trip Advisor you have to weed out and disregard the biased reviews."

Why would the fact that he is a high profile Californian have anything to do with the review?  You do realize that there are quite a few high profile restauranteers that come to NYC from all over the globe, correct?  Why would NYC (specifically NYTimes) single out Guy Fieri for their hateful West Coast wrath. You statement was fine until this line of bs.   

• Irish, I don't think that anyone on here myself included would consider Guy Fieri a "culinary expert" and personally don't really care if he fits or doesn't fit that designation. What he is is a chef that hit the jackpot with The Food Network and is taking advantage of his new found fame. If you don't like him, fine but I don't think anyone on here has the ability to judge his culinary abilities if you haven't cooked with him. And stilllaughing just shared a quote from a restauranteur in NYC. It wasn't his "line of bs". Just don't know why there always seems to be so much anger on this board.
    Clarendon Hills, IL