Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Cold temp storage

As most do, I plan on making use of my BGE all winter. I keep a small upright shed on my deck where I store all my lump, wood and accessories. Now I'm wondering if I should store anything inside during the cold winters. The main things I am worried about are my plate setter and pizza stone. I think everything else will be fine. I mean the wood and lump may freeze, and only take a bit longer to really heat up, but how about other ceramic parst? Thoughts??
LBGE + others I hope - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Other than digging your plateseetter or pizza stone out of snow or ice...no problem.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,220
    If snow and ice were a worry for me I would find a spot to stash so peppermint schnapps to crash the chill away. My grandma would give us tablespoons of it after playing in the snow when I was a kid, I blame her for my drinking.
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 373
    So you don't think putting a sub-freezing place setter over any lit fire should result in cracks or shock? This is my first Egg'n winter and just wanna be sure. Thx
    LBGE + others I hope - Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,692
    Say room temperature is 75F.  Pizza heat place setter is 600F.  I've brought a plate setter up to 1000F.  925F difference there.  So bring ambient down to 0F.  That 925 versus 1000F.  Doesn't make a difference. The plate setter was fired at over 2200F.  It don't care.  What could make it fail is freezing a water soaked plate setter.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Cold is a relative term mostly based on our human comfort temperatures.