Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold temp storage

Options
As most do, I plan on making use of my BGE all winter. I keep a small upright shed on my deck where I store all my lump, wood and accessories. Now I'm wondering if I should store anything inside during the cold winters. The main things I am worried about are my plate setter and pizza stone. I think everything else will be fine. I mean the wood and lump may freeze, and only take a bit longer to really heat up, but how about other ceramic parst? Thoughts??
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Other than digging your plateseetter or pizza stone out of snow or ice...no problem.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    If snow and ice were a worry for me I would find a spot to stash so peppermint schnapps to crash the chill away. My grandma would give us tablespoons of it after playing in the snow when I was a kid, I blame her for my drinking.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    So you don't think putting a sub-freezing place setter over any lit fire should result in cracks or shock? This is my first Egg'n winter and just wanna be sure. Thx
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Say room temperature is 75F.  Pizza heat place setter is 600F.  I've brought a plate setter up to 1000F.  925F difference there.  So bring ambient down to 0F.  That 925 versus 1000F.  Doesn't make a difference. The plate setter was fired at over 2200F.  It don't care.  What could make it fail is freezing a water soaked plate setter.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Cold is a relative term mostly based on our human comfort temperatures.