Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire in the Hole! (and by fire, I mean Bacon and by hole I mean the fridge)

13»

Comments

• A week in the cure(or until belly is firm-I've had them be 5 days, 8 is the longest), a day to air dry in fridge, and a few hours of smoking time.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks, MQ!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CT, when I make the Ruhlman recipe I usually soak the cured belly in fresh water before smoking. After the soak I usually hit it with some cracked peppercorns and maple sugar, then onto the egg w. apple and hickory. I usually soak for 1-1.5 hrs and change the water 1-3 times.
  • Griffin said:
    Ok, good to know. I'll ask next time. I don't have that book with me. What's the brine time? I'd like to take some down to the ranch for thanksgiving if there 's enough time (I'll be leaving next Tuesday)
    Mine was ready in 5 days last time but it was a 3lber. I think 5-7 days is good for 5+ lbs. You can tell it's ready when it firms up but if you get it today or tomorrow am you are golden

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX