Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A big disappointment

Options
I have been cooking on my Lge BGE for 9 years, everything has turned out good, sometimes great.  Yesterday I was reading about brining so I thought I would try it.  I had a 5 lb. chicken that I quartered and brined for 6 hours in a pretty standard brine of 1/2 cup Kosher sale, 1/2 cup Sugar in a half gallon of water.  I rinsed it off and dried it and applied a dry rub and put it on the egg indirect at 350 to 375 deg.  In a little over an hour the leg quarters were at 180 deg plus so I pulled them and continued cooking the breast quarters for about 15 more minutes to 170 deg.  I was hoping for some very succulent, moist breast but they didn't turn out that way.  They were a little dry and tough, the thighs were also tough. What did I do wrong?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited October 2012
    Options
    first, 170 is too high for breast meat, go no more than 160.  Second, thighs typically take longer, yours seems backwards - your thermometer may not be accurate.  It's tough to make a thigh tough, I'm guessing all parts were way overcooked
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • texasfiddlefan
    Options

I will check my thermometers. I was using the BGE thermometer for the dome temp, it has been checked in the past and has been accurate.  I used my thermopen for the meat temp and it has always been accurate but I will check it. 

These breast were really large and I wasn't suprised that they took longer than the thighs.

I have cooked spatchcocked chicken in the past at 350 dome and they were usually done in about an hour.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    6 hrs seems long for individual parts. I brined mine for 2 hrs and they were pretty salty. Wondering if that had something to do with it?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I just bet that  5lb chicken is a tough bird. (IMO) the smaller birds ( & turkeys) work out better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texasfiddlefan
    Options
    I really prefer 3 to 3 1/2 lb. chickens but almost impossible to buy anything less than 4 lbs around here.  I guess they sell all the smaller ones to the KFC's and Popeyes etc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I agree with Mickey - the large chickens can be tough. I had a similar experience with them.  The brining should give you more leeway in overcooking without drying out.  Looks like you cooked about 10F higher than it needs to be, but I think the main problem is the quality of the chicken.  Also, consider the temp maybe rose another 5-7 F after you pulled from the egg.
    Options
    These breast were really large and I wasn't suprised that they took longer than the thighs.....
    It's Monday so I'll leave that statement alone. If it were the weekend....

I always spatchcock the largest chicken my butcher has...5-6 pounds but I've never brined one, just turkey. Mickey probably has something on the temp rising while resting.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    What kind of salt did you use, 1/2 cup kosher salt is a lot less salt than table salt. I don't know if this attributed to it because you didn't mention it being salty. I was just curious.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good point U_tarded.  I always use weight.  To 1 Gallon of water I add 225 g salt and 125 g sugar.  It's not that critical, however.  And if you leave it in the brine too long because you forgot, you can soak it in fresh water and reverse the process.  Yep - it would taste too salty if there was too much salt.

I used kosher salt, and no it didn't taste salty. I will try to find some smaller chickens. Thanks everyone for your input.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    GranIL always said a big hens and roosters should be stewed.  (they were chicken farmers so I figured she knew her chickens.) When we came to visit she always killed the smaller yard hens for supper.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have been cooking on my Lge BGE for 9 years, everything has turned out good, sometimes great.  Yesterday I was reading about brining so I thought I would try it.  I had a 5 lb. chicken that I quartered and brined for 6 hours in a pretty standard brine of 1/2 cup Kosher sale, 1/2 cup Sugar in a half gallon of water.  I rinsed it off and dried it and applied a dry rub and put it on the egg indirect at 350 to 375 deg.  In a little over an hour the leg quarters were at 180 deg plus so I pulled them and continued cooking the breast quarters for about 15 more minutes to 170 deg.  I was hoping for some very succulent, moist breast but they didn't turn out that way.  They were a little dry and tough, the thighs were also tough. What did I do wrong?

From your comment it seams you have produced some good chicken in the past. I don't brine and am happy with the results from the egg. Tried it back in the gasser days and thought it was OK. IMHO poultry shines on the egg just naturally.

Steve 

Caledon, ON