Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How egregious would it be to start a brisket in the oven? I'm in a jam!

Options
I am cooking a 7 lb brisket for my sister, and it has to be pulled by about 3:00 pm Sunday.  If I follow the rule of 1.5-2 hours per pound, I'm going to need to start the brisket about 2:00 am or so.  I'm really not looking forward to getting up at 2:00 am and regulating the egg.

As such, I'm actually considering putting the brisket in the oven at about 2:00 am at about 220 degrees, and then transferring it to the egg when I wake up at my normal time of about 8:00 am.  That would mean about six hours in the oven and about 7 hours on the egg.  Is starting it in the oven going to greatly affect the finished product? My sister is not a brisket expert and probably wouldn't notice, but she is pregnant and in need of some good comfort food, and I really want to give her a good brisket.

My fear is that by starting the brisket in the oven, it won't take on any of the smoke from the egg after I transfer it.  I am also concerned that the oven will dry the brisket out considering it won't be getting cooked over a drip pan and getting spritzed every hour.  Having said all this, I just don't think I can get up at 2:00 am and stay up the better part of the morning.  I would greatly appreciate the thoughts of anyone here.  This site is such a great source of information.
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Does it have to be BBQ brisket?  You could just braise it in the oven if the egg/timing isn't going to work.  Look up the Travis method...something like that done in the oven can work.  When we oven braise them, we put them directly in the pan fat side up, in a mix of water + merlot wine and tightly cover with foil to seal in the vapor.  The basics are:

put the brisket in an aluminum baking pan fat side up, cover with crushed garlic and a bottle of Heinz57 Chili sauce and a dry packet of onion soup mix.  Add some sliced up onion, 1 small bottle merlot (4-8oz) + enough water to get to about 1" depth.  Seal with foil and cook 3 hours @350F.  Ideally, refrigerate overnight.  Next day, spoon off excess fat, slice, put back in pan, cook another 3 hours (again, sealed with foil, make sure you still have around 1" of liquids).  For the last hour, add cubed potatoes and baby carrots.  It's not BBQ, but it does turn out good.  Properly done, the slices will fall apart if you pick them up unsupported.

My wife was just complaining, I gave away her secret recipe.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I think you can accomplish the same on the egg. Most don't own temp controllers so just build your fire right and ensure its lit in all the right places. Put it on before you go to bed and just dial it in low and crank it up in the morning.

You're not going to penetrate the meat with smoke after so some of the flavor profile might not be there doing it in the oven first.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I think you can accomplish the same on the egg. Most don't own temp controllers so just build your fire right and ensure its lit in all the right places. Put it on before you go to bed and just dial it in low and crank it up in the morning. You're not going to penetrate the meat with smoke after so some of the flavor profile might not be there doing it in the oven first.
    I was going to say that it could work, but you prolly would lose some smoke flavor.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You'd be asked to leave the forum...lol
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited October 2012
    Options
    [-X You might not be happy with the results. It won't take on smoke late. Why are you cooking so so low? Cook it at 300 dome and it will be much better and done in 1 hr per lb. You could do what Caz says too. Put it on at 225 or so then bump it to 300 in the morning until it's done. You are essentially making her a roast if you don't smoke it. May as well do a killer pot roast with all the flavors.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I am cooking a brisket tonight, it will go on around 11:00 p.m. and probably be done between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. tomorrow, then it will go in a warmed cooler and be to served around 3:00 p.m. tomorrow.

Gerhard
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Thanks to all for the input.  I have come to my senses and decided against the oven thing.  I'm still not sure exactly what I will do, but one way or the other this brisket will be 100% egg and 0% oven! I really do appreciate all the advice/posts!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's the ticket!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Philicious
    Options
    If you can wait until tomorrow, I can give you a brisket recipe that will cook in the oven for 4-5 hours and she may deliver when she eats it.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I am surprised no one mentioned that a 7 lb brisket is small, and will not take 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. I hate this "conventional wisdom" that gives BBQers the thought that there is some magic "per hour" time for brisket, or pork, or anything for that matter. That little brisket can go on at 6am at 250 dome and it will be done by 3pm easy.