Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Look what I found! Need Help.

I think this is an Egg. The man that has it says it's a very old egg and that he cooks with it a lot. It's for sale and I'm thinking about buying it as long as there aren't any cracks, The owner says there aren't any. Haven't seen it in person yet but going to look at it tomorrow.

Thoughts please?

·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    From what I understand, you don't want to get those older ones above 350 or they will crack. Cool looking Egg.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,510
    If there is no cracks and the price is right, go for it. I would just try to make sure it is Ceramic and not clay.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,892
    From BGE's website:

When Ed Fisher first opened the Big Green Egg store in Atlanta in 1974, he sold kamados made of fire-clay, which were based on the same design and material used for thousands of years. Despite the great results they produced, the material of these original cookers became fragile after a few years of use and from being exposed to the elements.

·
    I'd still buy it if it was cheap.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,076
    No gasket! I would pass :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • IMO, if you're buying it to cook with a lot, I would be leery.  If you're buying it as a curiosity that you sometimes use, go for it as long as the price is right.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    I've seen lots of pics that guys bought them and restored. That is the best looking one I have seen though. Looks like he used briquettes in it too. That is a good thing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Steve, are you flip-floppin?

·
    Nola, The gasket thing was in jest. They are good cookers, just dangerous to use over 400 ish. I would grab one if I needed another egg, which I don't, but if the price was right.......

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,748
    Is that the one for sale on Austin Craigslist?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • HashmakerHashmaker Posts: 149
    @travisstrick-it's not advertised for sale and the guy that has it is in Simpsonville, SC.

He says he's never cooked at high temps with. He got it for butts and briskets about 25 years ago. He only wants 50 bucks for it.
    ·
  • I would love to have it just for a conversation piece. for 50 bucks you can't lose. :)
    Brandon, MS
    ·
  • I say buy it.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,429
    It's pretty cool even if you make a $50.00 flower pot out of it.  I'd say go for it!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,787
    Go for it!

I have bought 2 at different times in the last few years for $10 each. They were in need of major surgery, but survived the operation.

Oct '09 :
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...733517&catid=1

Aug '11:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php...156764&catid=1
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    That looks to be in great condition and at that price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,476
    Throw it back, the dome thermo is missing,,,, and please pass on the address where it is located.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 266
    Fifty bucks? Go for it!
    LBGE
    ·