Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turkey on my LBGE

2»

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Maybe mentioned here already:  Take the bird out of the fridge 35 mins before putting on the egg.   Fill some zip lock bags with ice and lay those over the breast portion while the rest of the bird is exposed to room temp air.   You can take the breast meat down enough this way to equalize the cook time.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Now your the one looking to start an argument, to which, I am not going to sink to your level. You also made a comment on another post I have stating and I quote:

Little StevenPosts: 18,488

Seriously, yes, this forum could have some categories added for Canadian eggheads where there's a difference and it would be worth it. Or a general "Canadian Egghead Forum". It would be easy to add for those that control the content. It's probably a line or two of data in whatever the web server's war file reads. Probably xml or in a database. I think it would be worth contacting BGE to add. More people contacting them would be a good lobbying effort.
    I hate Canadians. If it's ok I'll hang here with y'all

So be it. Keep yourself away from us Canucks and your commetns as well.

For the record 185 is overdone for turkey or any kind of meat for that matter. Your USDA website and any chef worth his salt in a kitchen.

The temperature of the turkey and the center of the stuffing must reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F. Check the temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    hondabbq said:

Now your the one looking to start an argument, to which, I am not going to sink to your level. You also made a comment on another post I have stating and I quote:

Little StevenPosts: 18,488

Seriously, yes, this forum could have some categories added for Canadian eggheads where there's a difference and it would be worth it. Or a general "Canadian Egghead Forum". It would be easy to add for those that control the content. It's probably a line or two of data in whatever the web server's war file reads. Probably xml or in a database. I think it would be worth contacting BGE to add. More people contacting them would be a good lobbying effort.
    I hate Canadians. If it's ok I'll hang here with y'all

So be it. Keep yourself away from us Canucks and your commetns as well.

For the record 185 is overdone for turkey or any kind of meat for that matter. Your USDA website and any chef worth his salt in a kitchen.

The temperature of the turkey and the center of the stuffing must reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F. Check the temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.

Easy boy, I am a Canuck and I sometimes make jokes. You might not find me funny but that is OK. I always figure that we have a sorta different sense of humour. I have been egging for 15 years and most of the crap I add is valid. I'm not here to fight but if I ever get my hands on that left coast bastard Skiddymarker I'll pull his jersey right over his head and hammer him

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq

Being new here I dont know anyones whereabouts. Assuming with comments, like I mentioned, you werent Canadian. I have encountered this in other forums for just being a Canadian so I jumped in with both feet, being a proud Canadian I will backdown from no one, especially if you dont knwo me and just pass judgement on where I live.

My apologies for "gearing up".

But seriously now, isnt 185 too high for turkey? Doesnt it start getting dry at those temps?

• Little Steven

Oh, so the hand is on the other foot now eh? We're cool. I asked you where you are at on another thread and you didn't reply. I thought that maybe the Honda bit meant Alliston. I'm pretty close to there.

No, 180 to 200 is good in the thigh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    I don't know where or what the alliston meant.
  • Little Steven
    Where the Honda plant is. HWY 89 and HWY 50

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    No the handle is a mix. I own a Honda quad and I have my own BBQ sauce company.
  • Little Steven
    So where are you? I don't want your adress or anything.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    This past summer I did a "leg up" turkey on a vertical stand (read 24 oz beer can) and it was a bit of a fiasco.  I had a hard time keeping the thing upright and had it all tied up.  Is the thigh then in the hotter part of the egg because heat rises and it is hotter as compared to lower which is closer to the coals?  That is one thing I have a hard time putting my head around.  I know when I have my maverick clipped onto the grid it generally reads hotter than the dome thermometer.  

By the way the whirly bird was a great rub for the turkey.

For thanksgiving I think I am going to go legs down if only because I will have a lot of people staying at my house and I won't need the extra chaos of figuring out how to keep my bird upright.  I will try the legs up again at a later date...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Little Steven
    For some reason I thought you were in ON. Glad you got the Jets back

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    booksw said:
    This past summer I did a "leg up" turkey on a vertical stand (read 24 oz beer can) and it was a bit of a fiasco.  I had a hard time keeping the thing upright and had it all tied up.  Is the thigh then in the hotter part of the egg because heat rises and it is hotter as compared to lower which is closer to the coals?  That is one thing I have a hard time putting my head around.  I know when I have my maverick clipped onto the grid it generally reads hotter than the dome thermometer.  

By the way the whirly bird was a great rub for the turkey.

For thanksgiving I think I am going to go legs down if only because I will have a lot of people staying at my house and I won't need the extra chaos of figuring out how to keep my bird upright.  I will try the legs up again at a later date...
    Can you just cook the turkey in a V rack and not have it on a vertical roster.
  • Little Steven
    Yes, The mad Max method is awesome

Steve 

Caledon, ON