Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Nomex vs Rutland gasket

HinpeckHinpeck Posts: 8
edited October 2012 in Off Topic
My gasket is just about a goner.  What should I replace it with?

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2012
    The answer is easy, if you want cheap, works as a gasket and no approval or disapproval around food go with the Rutland. If you want more expensive, works as a gasket with approved use around food go with the Nomex. 

Not saying it is the same thing, but remember asbestos was everywhere, deemed safe and now look where we are. The only Rutland I have in my house is on my airtight wood stove and it is fantastic. On my egg, it is a Nomex. 

Lots of folks here use the Rutland, lots use the Nomex. 
    I'm going to order the Cotronics next time, $110-$120 for 3X50' rolls, should keep me in gaskets for some time. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • HashmakerHashmaker Posts: 149
    I went with a nomex kit from TastyLicks BBQ. Ordered through amazon and got it three days later. Even got it for a few dollars off. I've done a couple of pizza cooks and it's still looking good. No complaints with the nomex gasket here and the TastyLick guys offer great customer service.
    @Skiddymarker... Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/fc_tapes.htm

If so, just curious which one you would prefer and will you get adhesive from them too?
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2012
    @hashmaker - yep, the 395-81PS, 1/8"X1"X50', self adhesive. The issue is water for the self adhesive, cotronics does sell adhesive, might just try some, but first I'm going to try the self stick. My egg is under cover, so it never gets rain (unless I put the lawn sprinkler too close). 

paste the above - it is the data sheet link from the page you reference. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 

Thank you sir.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,632
    Nomex degrades faster when exposed to steam.  I don't think it's a gasket adhesive issue.  Either way, the Nomex is pretty durable compared to the felt.  The Rutland is fiberglass.  I don't think it would be a problem with normal use, but at the first sign of friability (break down), it needs to be removed so you don't have glass fibers in your food.

• Thanks
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    I have Rutland on all 4 of my BGE's....love it.
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,948
    What does BGE send for warranty repairs?
    Boom
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,632
    Self adhesive Nomex