Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket Travis method

BBQBeermanBBQBeerman Posts: 62
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Trying a brisket Travis way hope it turns out as good as his looked
Life is short,love what you do or do something else
image.jpg 258K
·

Comments

• If not you can always blame it on Travis.
    ·
  • It will be the same as with my wife all the credit and none of the blame
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,794
    Heyyyyyyy, wait just a min.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    It's like a weird episode of Pottery Barn Twilight Zone where Travis is responsible for everyone's fails.

·
  • ZickZick Posts: 171
    Very true, I was talking to my friends who are coming over for brisket and football tomorrow. They asked have I done brisket well before? Not yet, but if it doesn't work blame Travis. They were confused and asked who is Travis? I replied " all you need to know is appears he is the brisket god"
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
    ·
  • Remember that movie Kingpin with Bill Murray, Randy Quade, and Woody Harrelson? Woody's name was Munson and every time somebody got screwed or messed something up they called it a "Munson". Like "man, you got Munsoned on that deal". We could do that with Travis on Briskets. "Dude, you totally Travised that brisket, we better call for pizza"

·
    Lol.....except he really is the brisket king. Maybe that is what is funny.
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,451
    edited October 2012
    Lol.....except he really is the brisket king. Maybe that is what is funny.
    Correct. I would never do that to someone who couldn't cook. that would just be mean.

·
  • Just ate some brisket it was great, thanks Travis great recipe
    ·
    My favorite part of cooking a brisket is trimming some of the bark off and eating it right away. I'm glad it turned out well for you. 
    ·
  • My favorite part of cooking a brisket is trimming some of the bark off and eating it right away. I'm glad it turned out well for you. 
    Me too. I always nibble all the nasty bits and odd pieces while trimming it up. best stuff ever.

·
  • I told my wife I got the recipe got the BGE website so I get no credit for the recipe but she did like the brisket so you never know it is Saturday night
    ·
  • I did just that when it was about 195 I cut some off one end and it was great I did share with the family. Thanks again
    ·
    During the Travis method @ 300, still aprox. 1 1/2 hr ?
    ·
  • Yes
    ·
  • Zick said:
    During the Travis method @ 300, still aprox. 1 1/2 hr ?
    should be. maybe on the 1 hr side since the liquid conducts heat better than air but you are in the ballpark.

·
    So all ready and prepped. Now when should I put it on? Want for tomorrow at around 4 or 5 for an early dinner. 10.5 lb
    image.jpg 279.2K
    image.jpg 288.9K
    ·
    Plan on 1.5 hrs per pound. That looks out of this world. I just cooked a ckn, bacon, artichoke, basil pizza and have some 8in chocolate chip cookies on as we speak but suddenly, I want to cook some briskey!
    ·
    Thanks Travis! If it comes of too early, just FTC, yes? Should hold for three hours, I am assuming.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,133
    Zick said:
    Thanks Travis! If it comes of too early, just FTC, yes? Should hold for three hours, I am assuming.

Given the above info-you can FTC for 4-5 hours easliy if you make sure to use lots of towels to replace the air-gap in the cooler.  Just let 'er rip and work with the results-the BGE saves us from ourselves.
    Louisville
    ·
    Zick said:
    You bet. Like lou said, 4-5 hrs of FTC is just fine. 
    ·
    This is the "Travis Brisket". Just came off and is now FTC four a couple of hours. Just as the Brisket King said to do. I used DD Cow lick though and I used a Red Stripe lager. Mostly at 300, in the morning it seemed to drop to 275 and I didn't try to adjust it. It was on 15 hours and pulled at temps ranging throughout the brisket depend on the thickness from 195-203. It looks crazy moist and the probing check was super easy throughout the brisket. I don't want to jump the gun here, but I have high hopes for this cook. More later....
    image.jpg 298.2K
    ·
    That looks darn good. Since you are the cook, you are allowed to cut some of the flat off to try. I always do it.
    ·
  • Plan on 1.5 hrs per pound. That looks out of this world. I just cooked a ckn, bacon, artichoke, basil pizza and have some 8in chocolate chip cookies on as we speak but suddenly, I want to cook some briskey!
    I'm going to try the "Travis Ckn Pizza" method and the "Travis Chocolate Chip Cookie" method as soon as possible.   8-}

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    ·
    Do you TRex those cookies or do a reverse sear?

·
  • Hey, my friend.  I'm just pulling your chain.  No offense intended.   [-O<

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    It's a mix of hot tub and TRex. You must install a new gasket or it wont work though. 
    ·
    I like my cookies blue.  I don't care about the raw eggs.

·
    Hey, my friend.  I'm just pulling your chain.  No offense intended.   [-O<
    I know, its just a good excuse to bust out the funny hater pics. Like this one. image
    ·