Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many butts can you fit on a Large?

War_Eagle_2244War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 85
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping for 6.  Is that possible?
·

Comments

• I would think 4 could work, six would be pushing it
    ·
  • EggerinLAEggerinLA Posts: 186
    With adj rig, I did 6 without touching each other last weekend. I had room for 2-3 more.
    ·
  • How is the adjustable rig different from the BGE 3 tier rack?  That's what I will have to use.  I will use the base rack and 1 above it.  Hoping to get 3 on each level.
    ·
  • This is what I'm hoping to fit 6 on...image

·
  • EggerinLAEggerinLA Posts: 186
    You can fit 6 on that. No problem.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    edited October 2012
    Here is two 8 pound butts on my large to give you a sort of scale. I think three on each level would work just fine. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I hope so. Thanks for the input!!!
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I've done 3 ten pounders on one level. If you can get 3 more on top you are good to go
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    depends. bone in, bone out? I've got the adjustable rig and i've fit 5 on, but it was a squeeze. With boneless 5-6lb'ers you might get 6. But i like bone in 8lb'ers. 4 is my norm. it sucks because the dome thermo almost always is dug into one when i pack it out.
    ·
  • MemphisBBQMemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    edited October 2012
    I have done 8 5 pounders, bone in, without a rig. I just stacked them so they had room to breathe. Turned out just as good as any other butt I have done. Only difference was the dome thermometer turned into a meat thermometer. Maverick kept me on track.
    ·